Five

Chapter Five
"Lies."

"Cause I'm a puppet, the strings held by everyone but me and I'm forced to comply"

Naomi

"Naomi!" A sharp voice yells, startling me awake.

"Shit!" I curse as my sudden jump cause the stool I was sitting on to lose its balance and fall to the right, taking me down it.

My shoulder hits the floor first as I groan in pain, turning to lay on my back as I grab my shoulder in a failed attempt to relief the pain.

Sudden, a heavy object falls flat on my face. Instantly, I sat up and removed whatever it was from my face as it slide across the hardwood floor a few feet away from me.

Stupid Math book. Fucking out to get me I swear.

"Oh my god!" A voice says. I look up to see my whole family gathered around. My parents stood halfway down the staircase, concerned and alarmed, looking as if they had rushed down quickly after hearing the loud noise. Adam, however, fell on the couch as he grabbed his stomach as he laugh hard.

"I should have recorded that." He says as he continue to laugh. "It would have gone viral."

"Are you hurt, sweetheart?" Mom says as she and dad rush down to help me up.

"I'm fine. Although my feelings are a bit hurt at my brother's lack of concern." I say sarcastically.

"Nah. You know I love you." He says as his laughter died down.

"No, not really." I say back.

"Well anyways, I have to head on up to the shower, because today I will be cooking breakfast." Adam says as he energetically jumps off the couch.

A moment of silence filled the room as my parents awkwardly look at Adam, acknowledging his lack of cooking skills.

"There's this great next waffles place right down the street, let's go check that out." Mom says.

"No. No way. Last week dad said that I was the black sheep of the family in the cooking category and I refuse." He says determined.

"You are using your willpower over something that is so stupid." I tell him as I roll me eyes.

In my family, we were all competitive. Well that's what I remember back in middle school. But we were all bad at one or two things.

For Adam it was cooking and being on time.

We would literally tell him to be at some place at 6, then we would show up at 6:30 because we know that he would be late and still he would show up at 7. And the lack of that trait caused his failure in cooking.

He tried baking, but everything got burnt.

He tried making simpler things like lazy cakes and cheesecakes but he would forget and take them out three days too late and they would be stone cold.