Chapter 7

A scream pierced through the morning air, waking me from my sleep. The screamed echoed through the dawn lit library. The scream did not sound like one out of pain... But one out of anger.
Regina.
Her scream shook the whole palace.
" WHERE IS SHE!"
I fell asleep in the library. A book propped against my chest, my body still slung over a chair. The glare from the sun streaming down from the window in the far west went straight for my eyes, like a bull's eye. I squint around the room, the library doors still wide open.
Regina screamed again.
"FIND HER!"
She sounded closer, her voice drifting through the opened doors. She had to be close.
Would she be mad that I was in here?
I scamper off the chair, quickly rushing towards the door.
" I WILL RIP OUT ALL YOUR HEARTS IF YOU DO NOT FIND HER.. NOW!"
I stop dead in my tracks. Did she really just threaten to rip out her guards hearts?
"Oh gods.." I whisper. Brushing the wrinkles in my shirt down, fixing my composure. Walking out into the dimly lit hallway, scanning my eyes around. Where do I go?
Regina... where are you.
I race down the corridor to the stairs, taking two steps at a time.
" 'Gina?" Nothing. I swear she sounded so close. I make my way towards the mirror in the hallway, taking in my appearance. My hair stood out in awkward corners and my shirt was shifted slightly to the left. Yet, last night I actually slept a little bit. Usually the nightmares would come back, and I would have to start the process all over again.... But not last night.
A flicker in the mirror catches my attention and slowly a face appears. I gasp, stumbling back into the wall behind me.
"You look like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed" He snickered.
"More like a chair... Who are you?" I ask politely, still a little frightened from the sudden appearance.
He looked slightly amused.
" You must be new here. I am the Magic Mirror.."
I have heard rumors of the Queen having a magic mirror when I was only a little girl. The rumors went on saying that she forced a man into the mirror by magic, making him do her very bidding. Some were wild as he was an old lover; she never loved him back though. Resulting with him being in the mirror.
"Were the rumors true?" I ask, stepping closer to the mirror.
He nodded slowly, a smirk playing on his lips. My heart starts to feel heavy in my chest.
His eyes bore deep into mine.
" You do not belong here Emma. " A wicked laugh burst from his lips, as he disappeared from the surface of the mirror.
I flush, feeling slight light headed.
" I am not good enough for her?" I whisper into the air.
My breathing starts to pick up and my heart hammers in my chest.
I have to confront her.

" WHERE IS SHE, I SWEAR IF YOU DO NOT FIND HER...." Regina trailed off, as she ran up the stair case.. running straight into me.
I fall to the wooden floor, my hands breaking my fall.
"WATCH WHERE YOU Are... Emma?" A smile breaks out on her lips; she reaches toward me trying to help me up.
I flinch away from her hand. The smile quickly disappears from her face. Concern etched all over her face.
" Emma I was looking everywhere for you, where were you?" Her voice was soft, my heart fluttered at her concern.
Stupid heart.
I can feel a tear make its way down my cheek, using my sleeve to wipe it away quickly.
" Emma... Please tell me what is wrong..." she crouched down in front of me. Her painted red lips were in a slight frown. She wore a red low cut dress, which hugged her body. Her hair was in a braided bun that rested on top of her head.
Why does she have to look so beautiful?
She extends her hand towards me. I look skeptically at it, but accepting it in the end. Her hand curls around mine and tugs. She pulls us both up to our feet.
"... Thank you your Majesty." I whisper. Her face falls completely, a stricken frown placed on her lips.
Her mouth opens to respond, when Liam runs into the hall.
He shines with sweat, it soaks through his uniform. His jaw is locked, as though he is clenching his teeth. Liam's eyes drift to Reginas hand.... Which were still holding mine. I try to pull away but The Queen just grips a little tighter, runner her thumb over the back of my hand.
"What is it that you want, Liam?" she asks. Venom lacing her voice.
The tone alone makes me flinch slightly. She looks over at me, sadness in her eyes, but is quickly masked with anger. The Evil Queen.
" I was just going to see If you were all right your Majesty... but seeing as you have found your... stray.." He growled. ".. I guess I did not have to be worried" He stormed out of the hallway, his heavy footsteps echoing throughout the hallway.
"I am a stray.. am I not?" I ask silently. The thumb on my hand stops moving.
"No. Emma, you are definitely not..." She whispered "... I am going to have to talk some sense into that man!" she growled out. Anger evident on her face, her teeth tightly clenched together. Her eyes swarm with flashes of purple.
She was radiating with magic.
With our hands still clasped together, I can feel her magic coursing through my body. I gasp at the slight tingling in my hand and forearm.
I rip my hand away from her, as though it has been burned. She quickly deflates, the evidence of anger replaced with concern and sadness.
" Emma I am truly sorry. I did not mean to hurt you.." She looked full of regret, reaching over to inspect my hand.
I pull it out of her reach, backing away slowly. It was only a little bit burned, like as if I touched a hot coal from the burning fireplace at home.
I look at her eyes, they are swimming with emotion.
" Why am I here your Majesty?" I whispered. She looks taken aback from the question.
" ...Why would you not be here?" She replied.
" I do not belong here Regina.. They said.. "
" WHO TOLD YOU THAT!" She yelled, she started pacing. I really just wanted to go over to her and hold her. She looked so stricken and a bunch of emotions crossed over her face.
" ... The Mirror... and I believe Liam do—"
" AND YOU BELIEVE THEM! You would trust their opinion over mine!" She snarled. I could sense that she was upset and not angry.
I do feel foolish for believing a mirror.. But once he had said it my insecurities broke through my surface. Regina could have anyone she wanted... why would she want me.

I ran.
I glanced back at her, her eyes filled with unshed tears.
I ran into the guest room down the hall, closing the door shut behind me.
The room had a large freshly made bed, a dresser full of unworn dresses and a book shelf covering half of the south wall. Though outside glass doors... was a balcony. I ran over to the doors, throwing them open.
I climbed up the railing, staggering slightly.
Time to fly.