Chapter 2

The next time I saw the Queen was after 7 moons. This time I was in my apple Orchard when I heard the soft thumping of horse hooves echo throughout the village.

I smile softly to myself, a basket of pure red apples held in my hands.

The Kingdom was beautiful this time of year, as the autumn fairy has graced us with her presence, placing bright colours in the leaves. Red and Oranges contrasting against the blue and gray skies. Leaves are scattered upon the grass, welting. The trees becoming bare. The children of the village play in the streets with their parents chastising them for being out in the cold.

Fortunately in these cold yet colourful days, harvesting is welcomed. Apples flanking orchards, pumpkins growing wildly.

I pick apples to make an apple pie for dessert tonight, as it is my Mothers favorite. Hoping it will put her in a good mood for once.

I subconsciously rub my hand over my forearm, wincing slightly. The bruise on my arm still sore from two moons ago.

She had come home really angry and really drunk, from the local tavern, owned by Mister Lander.

The sound of the horse hooves pull me out of my thoughts. Tears are prickling my eyes, slightly gazing over. Pulling the corner of my sleeve up to wipe my eyes.

I walk swiftly to the front of my house, pulling the basket of apples behind me.

The dirt road in front of me has a still carriage in front of it and a graceful Queen waiting patiently.

" Were you awaiting my arrival, your Majesty?" I sniffle slightly.

She looks slightly concerned. Taking in my appearance.

" Me? Awaiting you? Ha! You wish." She scoffed. Her dark mocha eyes boring into my slightly reddened green eyes.

" Than with no disrespect, your Majesty.. Then why are you here?" She looks abruptly surprised by that question but it is quickly masked with anger, completely unadulterated anger.

" I am the Queen!" her voice raised. " You do not question me!" she punctuated the last part of her rant, the echoes of 'Me!' can be heard throughout the village.

I shift lightly from heel to toe.

" ... I am terribly sorry, your Majesty.." I stutter out.

Her anger deflates a little when she takes in my puffy red eyed and trembling hands.

I try to stop the uncontrollable shaking but nothing helped. I look into my basket, trying to cover up my movements and grab a pure red apple.

I walk slowly towards her and place the apple in her hand

".. Have a good day, Queen Regina.." my voice is strong, not a quiver can be detected.

I turn around, walking towards my cottage, leaving the very confused Queen in my wake.

The slamming of the front door can be heard throughout the house. Slumping behind it, bringin my knees to my chest.

I can hear the Queen's carriage taking off down the dirt road, only a few seconds after I left.

I never meant to make the Queen upset, I was merely asking. The build up of the Queen and my Mother all yelling at me has taking a toll on me emotionally.

Hot tears come pouring out of my eyes, as cries rack over my body. The little ball I pulled myself into is starting to calm me down slightly. My blonde hair sticking to my face from the wetness of the tears.

I stagger up to my feet, grabbing hold of the apple basket once again and placing it on the table in the darkly lit room.

My Mother will not be home until the sun has fallen over the mountains in the far west.

Maybe I will make that apple pie...

With the apple pie baking in the oven and the sun just slightly over the mountains. I start to prepare. Setting out slightly chipped china plates and forks on the table.

There is an audible grumbling coming from outside the house, my heart lodges itself in my throat.

The door flies open with a bang, making me flinch slightly. My Mother. She stands there slightly wobbling, her messy brown hair is tossed up upon her head with no care.

Her blue eyes grab a hold of mine and a drunken smirk is placed on her lips.

" Mother... I made your favorite dinner... Roasted pig and apple pie." I stutter out, dropping my gaze to her feet.

She takes a staggering step towards me

A crooked finger runs under my chin and lifts it up

" I was thinking Emma. You... "She punctuated the You . " .. Don't deserve to eat tonight.." she finished with a slur.

I bow my head back down.

" Yes Mother.." I sigh.

" Do not call me Mother!" She roared. "Not after what you done. You have no right! You are no longer my daughter!"

I gasp, nodding my head in understanding.

"Please say! You cannot leave us, you are my husband Marcus! " My Mothers screams drifted to my room.

"... It was a horrible day 13 years ago. When we had that .. child. " he sneered.

"She is your daughter!"

" She is not normal! She is the devil! No child of mine could be like her!"

My mother was heavily crying. My father slammed the door.

What was wrong with me...

She walks over to my room, and whips open the door

" Get In." she growls.

I quickly make my way over to the room. Right when I slip in, she slams it shut. Almost catching my fingers.

The clicking of a lock catches my attention.

She locked me in here... again.

I sigh, sitting on my small straw bed in the far corner of the room. The room has bare walls but upon the floor there are books.

Ever since my Father left 3 winters ago, I started getting deep into books. They were places to escape. Tales of Neverland and wonderland, adventures of these people who escaped and travelled. Then came home and told their stories.

I wish I was like them. Exploring the world.

Free.