Chapter 1

A/N: I do not own OUAT. Though.. it would be rather cool.

The bruises were visible. The pain evident in her emerald green eyes. No one made her forget. Until she saved her.

The soft thumping of horse hooves against rough gravel can be heard throughout the village. The Queen. Slamming of house doors and windows closing shut. Children running into awaiting parents arms. Eyes filled with fear. Rushing out of the streets. The Queen was coming. Terror in young children can be heard in their soft voices as the whisper to their parents asking what's going to happen.

I was kneeling at my rose garden, picking a few when I heard those horse hooves become closer. I watch the village people disappear from sight. Slamming doors in the process. I look towards my door, then towards the dirt road in front of my home. I stand abruptly, smoothing the wrinkles in my dress down. The Queen. She was almost here, nearly. I wait, dusting the dirt off my palms. Holding the basket of flowers to my chest. The carriage makes an appearance at the bend. Coming into view. Two large black horses pulling the deep purple carriage. Crested gold around the exterior. No swirling patterns, just straight jagged lines.

Suddenly, the carriage stopped. The Horses neighed, standing on their hind legs. Being pulled to a stop so abruptly. The Queens carriage stopped.. In front of my home. I stare curiously at the coachmen. He doesn't make any eye contact. He gaze on the dirt road in front of him. The side door if the carriage opens slowly. A leather boot comes the view, as it steps out of the carriage. I slowly take a few steps towards the curious carriage. The Queen. She steps into view, clad in black leather pants and deep purple riffled shirt. Her jet black hair is held back in braided bun on top of her head. All looking a little too stiff. Her ruby red lips turn into a sneer and her mocha brown eyes bare holes into my eyes. The Queen is beautiful.

I drop my head in respect and bow graciously. Remembering my place. She nears closer. Her lips turned up into a smirk now.

" Why aren't you hiding inside your house, like the rest of this weak little village" The Queen sneered. Her words could cut through ice by how chilled they were.

My voice was lodged in my throat. Struggling to come out. I clear my throat with a simple cough. Fixing my composure.

" I was awaiting your arrival, your Majesty." I softly whispered out. My confidence growing a tad more. I take a conscious step forward. I shift nervously on the soles of my feet. Taking a few more steps forward. Just 10 feet in front of The Queen. Her icy stare flickers with a hint of confusion for a brief second. A smirk falls gracefully on her ruby red lips.

" My, my" She laughs. " What are you doing" Her voice laced with a evident mocking tone.

I reach into my basket and pick up the rose. Inspecting it carefully. Perfect, pristine and looks carefully handcrafted.

I step slowly toward her, thrusting my hand out toward her. Confusion clouds over her eyes for a brief second, just as pure Regal returns to the brown irises.

"A rose.." She scoffs, " you are giving me a rose?" Just then, a maniacal laugh filters through the air. She snatches the rose from my grip.

The rose turned over countless times, the thorns on the end of the stems scrape against her palms of her hands. A delicate, claw like fingernails gently runs over the bright red petal.

Her gaze is returned to me after she thoroughly inspected the flower. Eyes filled with something I never saw before, but in a flash that look was gone and pure regal has again returned.

The Queen curves her fingers around the stem, staring me dead in the eye. The once beautiful rose starts to disappear from her fingertips. The bright red starts fading. Slowly vanishing from the eye.

I gasp, as I watch something that was once there become gone. MAGIC. Everyone knew the Queen had magic, but it was rarely seen.

The Queen dusts off invisible traces of the rose from her hands. She chuckles darkly, catching the small flicker of hurt in my eyes. I clear the visible signs of it off my face, placing a bright smile once again upon my lips.

" Cool trick, your Majesty" I get out, surprisingly without any difficulty. Silently praising myself. Her smirk falters for a second, before completely composing it. Amusement is hinted as flecks in her eyes.

"Whats your name girl" She sneered. Tapping her foot against the grass impatiently.

The sun begins to settle over the tree tops behind the village.. Have we really been out here that long? I place the forgotten basket of flowers on the ground.

She inches closer to me.

" I said" She snarls. " What is your name!"

I slightly jump from her tone. I look her dead in the eye.

" Emma, your Majesty. My name is Emma"

After the Queen left, loneliness overcame me. Her carriage road off beyond the bend as the darkness of the night blanketed the earth. I was confused beyond point. The Queen, when she asked my name, summoned a Quill and a small patch of parchment with magic. She wrote my name down and as quickly as the quill and parchment appeared, they were gone.

I silently wanted to simply ask why she wrote it down, when i decided against it. She went back to her carriage and left abruptly.

Standing outside my cottage. Staring at the bend, hoping it would come back.

The chilled night air nipped at my exposed skin. Sending a shiver racking through my entire body. I head back towards my home. Silently hoping, praying that the Queen will come back.