Chapter 5

The door slammed shut behind us, as she dragged me further into the house. Her grip on my hand is strong, but never hurtful. She dragged me over to the fire place and sat me down in front of it.

The warmth of the fire consumed me. Melting the snow that is stuck to my shawl. There was absolute silence. It was unbarring.

I can feel the anxiety run through my body.

Regina paced back and forth, treading wet boot prints on the wooden floor boards. The snow dripped down from her hair onto her cheeks, looking as though she was crying. Her hands were clenched fists, and they shook with anger.

Why was she angry?..

" ... your Majesty..." I whispered, trying to get her attention. If she kept pacing she would create holes in the floor. How would I explain that to my Mother...

Nothing.

" .. My Queen..?" I said it a bit louder.

Nothing.

"Regina! Please stop pacing!" I yell at her.

She stops.

Finally.

Her eyes bore holes into mine; you can see her deflate when she realized what I called her. A soft smile played on her lips. Then her eyes dart to my neck again... I feel self-conscious under her hard gaze.

" Regina.... Can you please sit down?" I ask softly. Her gaze jumps back into my emerald eyes, they visibly soften. She takes slow steps towards me, her eyes never leaving mine. I hold out my hand for her to take, she blushes but complies.

She eyes darting over the floor I am sitting on; she scoffs slightly as it is covered in dust.

I pull her down anyway.

She plops down beside me, sighing happily as the warmth of the fire tickles her cold skin. She looks over to me, the anger returning to her features. Not towards me.. which I am thankful for.

I can see sparks of purple magic jumping from her finger tips as she brings her hand up to my neck. I gasp against her cold touch.

" Emma.. I promise this will not hurt.." she tells me softly.

The magic that was just dancing on her fingers are now swirling as they touch the bruise on my neck. I close my eyes, as the sensation of magic filled my senses. Warmth flooded my system from the magic.

I open my eyes; the loss of her hand from on my neck draws me out of the darkness. My eyes flutter open to hers. Anger is still evident in her eyes. I look over towards the mirror in the corner.

The bruise was gone.

A shaky breath falls from my lips, wondering what she will ask. What would she do? Oh gosh... what If she finds out it was my Mother... What would she do then?...

She must have seen the conflicted look on my face, as she reaches to cup my cheek. I lean right into the soft touch.

I do not think I will be able to tell her It is my Mother..

What would my Mother do if she finds out I told on her...

I can feel hot tears running down my cheeks.. Conflicted.

I still love my Mother, no matter what she had done to me..

Regina's thumb wipes away my tears, as she stares directly into my eyes. I want to look at her but I am scared that she will know what I am thinking.

Throwing my arms around her neck, almost jumping on her. I bury my face in her neck, openly sobbing. I can feel her stiffen at first contact but immediately relaxes. Her fingers run through my hair and rub up and down my back.