Recovery & Deterioration

Soft warm light filtered through heavy linen curtains, casting streaks of sunlight onto the dark bedroom. Dust particles floated gently through the air, each following a graceful pattern as they landed on velvet bed sheets.

Lexa woke with a start, shooting straight up and distorting all the calm essence in the room. Her brown locks fell in front of her shoulders and her labored breathing broke the silence. Lexa's eyes darted around the empty room, her fists clenching the soft blankets unconsciously.

Lexa didn't know why she hoped, why she dared.

She's not there. Lexa told herself, shutting her eyes and reopening them. She's not there.

Lexa still turned her head, checking her empty side. Her heavy heart sunk even though what she hoped for couldn't be true, not now.

She shivered despite the warm room, and ran her hands through her hair.

Her heart rate didn't slow down as she laid back in her bed, she didn't sleep either.

***

"You know you don't have to stay." Raven said as she messed around with the bed remote. Demetria watched the bed fold and level itself with Raven's disabled leg strapped firmly on the bottom half.

"My room is boring though, and before I got moved it was just a long hall filled with sick kids. The only thing that separated me from the others was a thin plastic curtain." Demetria replied monotonously. "At least you have an actual room for your whole stay."

"Clarke will be looking for you." Raven said, sandwiching herself in the bed. "Look I'm a Raven Taco!"

Demetria giggled slightly from Raven's mediocre humor and looked up at the adult from her place on the floor.

"She already talked to me yesterday." Demetria said as she fiddled on the sleeves of her borrowed hospital clothes. Her personal clothes were bloodied and torn from the fiasco two days prior, and Demetria detested the hospital gowns. Thus, resulting her in wearing ill fitting clothes from the lost and found until Clarke brought Demetria a change of clothes.

"You might want to go back, they"ll start bringing breakfast soon. Then it's visiting hours and if Clarke finds out you're not in your bed, she'll call the SWAT team. So getcha ass outta 'ere" Raven jeers, throwing a nearby pen at the teen.

Demetria swiftly caught it and tossed it back playfully as she got up to leave.

"I see your senses are still sharp Donut." Raven smirked.

"Always will be Rugrat." Demetria returned her own smirk before almost backing up to a nurse carrying a breakfast tray.

"Hey you're not supposed to be here..." She said with a wary soft tone.

"Then you didn't see me." Demetria says before slipping out into the semi lit hallway.

The nurse turned questioningly at Raven who just shrugged before stretching her arms out to welcome the food.

***

"Weird part is I didn't notice I broke anything." Demetria finished, Clarke looked horrified as she listened to her daughter recount the story again.

"Damn." Clarke said, shaking her head and hugging Demetria softly before returning to sit at her side. Clarke watched Demetria's odd eyes wander across the room uncontrollably, as if she was scared. Dark bruises peeked out from under her sweater, decorating her collarbone and back with a purple and blue hue. Patches covered her forehead and arms concealing her stitches. Her forearm was wrapped in a cast, and her opposite arm had been wrapped in a white bandage that Demetria refused to look at. Clarke's heart ached as the guilt weighed her down, this was her fault. With a swift beat, Clarke sniffed and choked out "I'm so sorry."