Losing One

"Hey Woods!"

    Demetria rolled her eyes as soon as she heard the familiar call. She slammed her locker and slipped into the crowded hallway, a few heads turning at her urgency. The bell rang, signifying the start of break as Demetria held onto her backpack as she slithered in and out of crowds.

    "Woods!" The voice called again, making it very clear that it was directed at Demetria from the paper ball that flew right past Demetria's ear. A few laughs followed the trash ball but Demetria didn't stop walking.

   Being only a sophomore, Demetria knew she had to stay out of trouble especially if she was to avoid her social worker. She ducked the flailing arms of the jocks as they trampeded down the halls in their obnoxious shouts and chants. Seeing this as her opportunity, she ducked out into the courtyard and shielded her eyes from the blaring sun.

     "Okay maybe you don't like that name, Hey Griffin!" The voice called out once it caught up to her, a slight pant audible in every word. Demetria turned around in annoyance, tucking her hands in the back of her skinny jeans and tilting her head. An intimidating stance she had picked up when following Lexa at her office.

       "Oh so you do prefer Griffin, alright." Aden halted a few meters away from Demetria, his two friends flanking him with matching smirks. Demetria stayed silent, not even shifting positions, or blinking for that matter. Lexa would've been proud.

         "Did you go mute or something?" Aden asked,  his two friends giggling along. Aden was a Junior and slightly taller then Demetria with a lean body, but Demetria learned from prior events that it was all looks.

     Demetria stayed like a statue, resisting the urge to burst out laughing at the stereotypical scenario.  After a few more thorned insults and jabs at Clarke and Lexa's company, Demetria had enough.

   "So who makes more money, Skai or Deb-"

   "Why do all bullies feel the need to have an entourage?" Demetria snapped, asking with faux curiosity. By now a small crowd had gathered, reminding Demetria to not cause a scene.

    "What?" Aden asked, caught off-guard from Demetria's break of silence.

     "You know, on screen and off, there's always backup for the bully. Why is that? Not strong enough on your own?" Demetria jeered, stepping closer and clenching her jaw as Aden scoffed in response.

    "They're called friends. Something you don't have." Aden jabbed Demetria's shoulder roughly, laughing as Demetria swayed ever so slightly from the force.

     "I don't need friends, I have independence. Something you don't have." Demetria said, poking Aden's shoulder with her own intensified jab. She earned a glare from Aden and some ooo's from the ever growing crowd. Afterall, a junior fighting a sophmore was never a fair fight, which made it more interesting to say the least.

   "But something I don't have and need is time, which you're wasting." Demetria adjusted her backpack and turned to leave, but the crowd only tightened, creating an impenetrable barricade.

    "I'm not getting into another fight." Demetria stated simply, rolling her eyes as the crowd booed.

    "Oh come on, lets give the people what they want." Aden called, signifying to the crowds as they cheered him on.

     "Why? So you can fix your broken ego?" Demetria asked, turning away from the human wall and facing the human idiot. The crowd released a chorus of oooh's much to Demetria's annoyance, and she attempted to get through the wall again. Aden mocked Demetria and flailed his arms dramatically, waiting to push Demetria off the edge.