Chapter 7

I jerked my head up as the wind whistled above me. A green mass of scales landed besides Saphira and me, Eragon and Arya in haul.

"Elizabeth. You made the journey," Arya said, nodding to me.

"Yes, but, will you please tell Saphira that I'm not here to hurt Eragon or you. she won't believe me." Saphira snorted a fume of smoke.

It's not that I do not trust you in particular I just —

Eragon finished her sentence. "She doesn't trust anyone." He slid off of Fírnen's back and landed soundlessly. "Who are you?"

Arya jumped off after him and answered for me. "This is my handmaiden."

"Arya," Eragon rounded on the elf. "Do not play dumb with me. She hasn't the right accent nor does she seem to know any sort of customs."

Arya bit her lip. "She's the daugh —"

"Arya," I cut in quickly. "Not yet."

She blinked and nodded. "As you wish."

Eragon looked between us before shaking his head softly. "You confuse me to no end," He sighed.

"I confuse me, too," I chuckled honestly. Then I blinked. How could I have forgotten?! "Arya, can you . . . make me look like me again?"

She looked up, startled, but nodded. "Give me a moment." We all paused, waiting for Arya's spell. "Alright," She finally breathed, looking up at me. "Come here."

I walked forward hesitantly. "Is it going to hurt?"

Arya shook her head. "It shouldn't." I nodded and stepped forward again. She rested her hand on my shoulder and uttered, "Moi eom ilumëo!" I gasped as I felt my legs lengthen and my face rearrange. I looked at my hands to see the once-formed calluses form over my knuckles. I smiled and let out a breath. Only, nobody else was relaxed.

"You — Durza," Eragon sputtered, drawing his sword and flinging the tip towards my chest. I stumbled back and threw my hands up.

"Stop!" I screeched. "I'm not Durza!"

"Eragon, stop!" Arya grabbed Eragon's arm and jerked him back. I let out a shaky breath.

"I don't even look like a man," I grumbled, sitting up and brushing the hair from my face.

Eragon was staring at me wide-eyed. "I — I apologize. You took me by . . . surprise."

"Does every redhead just look like that Shade to you?" I said, standing up.

You are not to speak to him in that way, Saphira hissed, her voice projecting to everyone.

"Saphira," Eragon countered, holding a hand up. "It's alright. I could've hurt her, killed her even. She has every right to speak in that way."

Saphira snorted again. She spread her wings and flexed her claws.

Keep your place, human, she said, glaring at me with fiery blue eyes.

I ignored her threat and turned to Eragon. "Shadeslayer, I have been told to bring you to a small village around the Spine. It is extreamly important that you come with me."

Eragon blinked, surprised. "Why? Who's summoned me?"

"My father," I said quietly. "He is a pious, pitiful excuse for a human, but I swear, he will do you no harm. He has requested me bring you forth to him. Arya is proof of this. He found her. As well as . . . a friend of yours." I took a slow breath. "It is not something that you would want to miss."

"What is the name of this town?"

"Carvahall." I waited for his response, but none came, so I continued. "My father once lived there. You might've known him, I cannot be sure though."

"What is his name?"

"I cannot tell you."

"Carvahall, you say?"

I nodded.

Eragon turned to Saphira, who snorted a fume of smoke. They seemed to be talking.

"We will accompany you." Eragon said after turning back to me. "In one condition," he paused. "Arya comes with us."

"That was the plan, Shadeslayer."