Chapter 2

I watched my white breath dance in front of me as I walked down the street. I was glad to have the thick cloak with me now, it offered warmth in the frigid air.

Before too long I could see the sign, high up in the air, and I quickened my pace. After a moment I started to jog, then run, and before long I was in a full out sprint.

I looked behind me a bit, and smiled when I saw the cloak billowing. I slowed a bit to try and catch my breath as I came up to the building. There were no cars in the lot, so I figured he wasn't here yet.

I moved for the door, and only when a crack of thunder echoed throughout the shadowy trees, did I realize how truly scared and stiff I was. I pushed the door open and walked in.

A young woman with raven hair looked up from her phone, and looked me up and down for a moment before talking. "I-I'm sorry! Nobody ever comes at this time of night. What can I get you?" She asked. Gladly she didn't mention my getup.

I studied her a bit more and noticed that she seemed my age, only about sixteen; barely old enough for a job.

"Umm, just a water, please." I answered. Walking over to a booth that was facing the door. The waitress got my water and came back over.

"Are you waiting on somebody?" I nodded wordlessly still tense. "A boyfriend?" I blinked at that question.

"No! No. Umm ... actually, would you mind keeping an eye on me? I don't trust the guy." The young woman looked at me in confusion, but asked no questions.

She went back to the booth she had been in earlier, and waited. Not long later the rain came. It didn't take long to start pouring, but by the time I was starting to regret not taking the car, the man came in. He emerged dripping wet with his hood drawn. Hanging from his belt was a scabbard.

He did not so much as glance at the young, raven-haired woman, but her eyes were glued to him. She was doing what I'd asked better than I thought she would. He sat down eyeing me strangely. "You don't have the sword I left you." He said, acting like there was no one else in the room but him and me.

"I didn't want to be refused entry for the possession of a deadly, not to mention, out of date, weapon." I spat in response.

"Don't ever go anywhere without that sword!" He said, leaning across the table. "Are you a Half-Whit?! What if you encountered an urgal?! What if someone tried to kill you?!"

"I don't walk around expecting people to kill me!" I was genuinely angry. He was talking nonsense!

"Brom ..." A voice interrupted our bickering. Brom... that name, I had heard it before. It was like the echo of a memory or déjà vu, but I knew I had heard it. Before the man, Brom, could respond the door swung open and a man with his face covered completely by a mask, swung into the room.

The first thing he did was take a handgun out of a holster on his belt and shoot out the cameras, then he turned to the waitress and started shouting, "Slowly get me all the money you have! So much as reach for anything other than money and I shoot!" He was shaking violently.

"Stand up to me, Fool!"Brom shouted, forcefully. He drew his sword and held it threateningly. While the thief was distracted, the waitress came around behind him with an empty glass ... but neither her nor Brom noticed the second thug silently walking in. He pointed his gun at Brom and pulled the trigger.

Time seemed to stop for a moment as the memories came flooding back, somehow slowing my heart and calming me enough to fling myself in front of the, now, familiar man.

"NO!!" I screamed as I spread my arms wide, and taking the bullet in my right shoulder. I crumpled to the ground as Brom rushed over to me. A second of anger welled inside me before my nerves reacted and a staggering pain shot through my arm. Spots danced in front of my vision as another wave of pain immobilized my body.

After mere seconds, before Brom could even properly reach me, my brain decided the best way to deal with the pain was to simply leave. And so, before I could release another gut wrenching scream, all went black.

...

I drifted back into consciousness only a few seconds later to find Brom on his knees, holding me. "Are you ok?! I've healed your wound." He sputtered as I lifted my left arm to lightly feel my, previously wounded, shoulder.

There was no longer an open wound, not even a scar. Brom sat over me panting slightly, a look of satisfaction on his face. I pulled out of his grasp with a scowl and rushed myself off, glad that I wasn't going to have to worry about stitches.

"Why did that hurt so much? It shouldn't have hurt like that." I asked looking away from both Brom and the waitress.

"I think it was poisoned. I'm not sure what with. I've cleaned your bloodstream and the wound though." Brom held his hand up, showing my a blood-coated bullet. "Eliza...do you know who I am?" He pleaded silently, asking the one question I didn't want to answer. I did know who he was, but I really didn't want to say it.

"Yes." I hissed, vehemently. "I also know you died! Would you care to explain?!"

Brom looked down, a silent tear slipping over his cheek. "I can't explain here ..." he said, casting a glance over his shoulder at the waitress, who was watch with increasing interest.

"You know, Brom ... I'm just as curious as to how you got here." Brom didn't move for a moment, other then his eyes widening, he looked as though he'd turned to stone.

"I know that voice." Was all he said, and he said it very quietly. He turned around and bowed slightly. "Arya dröttningu." He greeted. Arya! I had only ever heard of her. She was, and probably still is, a legend! I had never seen her personally but I had fought in some of the same battles as her.

She smiled warmly at Brom and said quietly, "It's Arya dröttning now, old chetowä." I blinked in confusion. I knew they were talking in fragments of the Elven language, but I had never learned it myself.

"I thought you were an Elf?" I cut in.

"Oh!" She smiled again at me, like I was a child. "I am. I used the last of the magic here to exchange my more Elvish like features for these human ones."

"And you still look lovely." Brom said placing a hand on her shoulder. "How was Eragon when you saw him last?" He asked again, making my heart jolt in my chest.

"I do not know, it has been nearly five years since I last saw him. Four of which I have spent here."

"And, speaking of which, why are you here. It just doesn't make much sense ... I have traced Murtagh and Thorn here."

"Murtagh's here?!" I gasped. I had met him once before. It had been a year or two before he fell into allegiance with Galbatorix, before he had Thorn. Brom looked at me sideways. "Do you ... know who he is?"

"Yes!" I dropped my voice down to a whisper as Arya watched us intently, but I only had eyes for Brom. "Most people don't forget their brother...s" I added the 's' on as an afterthought.

"Murtagh is your brother?!" Arya asked surprised.

I cleared my throat and hoped she would get this remark. I didn't intend to flat out tell her. "He's my half-brother..." A slight flash of recognition flashed in her eyes.

"Do you mean..." Brom held up his hand for silence.

"Yes, Arya. This is Elizabeth ... My daughter."