Chapter 5

We had pirated a small boat on the coast of Florida and had begun traveling in that manner. That had been four days ago. Thorn hadn't been able to carry us for more than a few hours of flight at a time. Getting a boat had become crucial quickly. Thorn and Murtagh would fly ahead of us and scout out where we were going. So far, it had worked well.

I looked at Brom. I still couldn't fathom why he would allow his children to be left with someone other than him. And why had Eragon been allowed to stay with our uncle in Brom's line of sight? I had been forced to live with bloodthirsty Urgals!

My face heated up and I moved to the other end of the small sailboat to get away from him. The platform rocked violently through the swells of water. Thorn flew high above us, carrying Murtagh on his back. Arya sat in between Brom and me, a hard look on her face. As the boat moved forward I noticed subtle changes in her appearance.

Her ears were slowly lengthening and her eyes had started slanting. "Are you using magic?" I asked after a few hours of silence. 

She looked at me, taking her time to answer. "Yes. As we grow closer to Alagasëa my magic grows. You're observant." She said, giving me a small smile. Brom looked on silently.

"How much longer do you reckon it'll take to get there?" I asked Arya, who had started sharpening a knife. 

 "A few hours. Four or five at the least. Thorn and Murtagh saw the island last night." I nodded and lay down on the deck, my hand trailing in the cool water.

After a while of the hot sun beating down on my neck, somebody came and sat down next to me. A quiet voice wafted into my ears. "Are you . . . mad at me?" I scoffed and opened my eyes so I could glare at Brom. 

"Mad? No! Neevveerr! Why would I be mad?!" He frowned. 

"You've grown to be so beautiful." He whispered touching my cheek.

I stood up, glaring daggers at him. "Beautiful? Beautiful?! You don't even know what I look like!" He opened his mouth, then closed it, looking at me in confusion.

"But I'm looking at you now . . ."

"You brainless, mindless, half-witted idiot! This isn't me! Remember?! I was the totally lucky one who had my entire body switched! You're just trying to get on my good side! Well, I can tell you this: I. Hate. You!" I dove off the side of the boat into the ocean, my tears mixing with the water. I wanted to drown. To never see his face again. I wanted to wake up, back in the life this girl lived. A happy family. Maybe I was being dramatic. I didn't care.

I welcomed the darkness that seemed to engulf me.

...

I felt compressions on my chest, forcing my heart to pump.

1

2

3

4

5

.
.
.

...

I felt a heavy weight swallow my body. A rush of cold swept over me, and my eyes flew open as I sputtered and coughed up the water that had dwelled in my lungs. I slowly took in my surroundings.

The open blue sky showed above. There were a few fluffy white clouds, but not enough to think rain would come. I noticed a gentle up and down motion of the mount I was on. Murtagh's shaggy wet head poked into my line of vision.

"Thank the gods! I thought we'd lost you." I looked over to the side; I was laying on Thorn's back. I started and bolted up. Murtagh grabbed my shoulders to steady me.