D A Y E I G H T

Tuesday - 8th October - 9:00am

Just like every morning for the past week, Lily and Vince sat in their booth at the very back of the coffee shop, each of them indulging in the warmth and bitter sensations that came with each cup.

It was a new day. A new morning and for the both of them, something felt different. New.

As usual, the weather hadn't changed. The was probably the only thing that remained constant. As well as the cups of coffee that Lily and Vince craved.

Smiling from across the table, Lily felt fresh. She felt as if on the previous day she wasn't crying her eyes out as she reminisced in the past and constantly voiced her thoughts aloud to the boy that merely sat and listening.

Vince, on the other hand, stared at Lily in a new light. He saw her in a much different way and it wasn't anything to do with her past or the feelings of pity that he'd almost felt for her. It was something so much more...different.

"Mm." Lily hummed in approval as her eyes shut tightly and her fingers curled around the mint coloured mug. "This just keeps getting better and better." She smiled, licking her lips as she reached over to refill her empty mug.

A light laugh escaped Vince's lips as he watched her mug go from being empty to full. "Careful. That's your third cup." He pointed out, the tops of his lips curling upwards and his eyes filling with amusement.

Rolling her eyes, Lily scoffed out loud. Although, she wasn't annoyed or in a huff because a big bright smile remained stretched across his lips. "Coffee is the one thing that gets me through the day! I'll have as many cups as my heart desires." Pointing her nose upwards, Lily flashed a grin in Vince's direction.

"Fine." Vince shrugged amusedly. "It's your funeral." He joked, watching as Lily paused, her lip an inch away from the rim of the mug.

The mug was now back on the table, her fingers still wrapped around me base, but her focus was no longer centred on the steaming cup of joy. Instead, her attention shifted to Vince.

A look of utter shock mixed with horror spread across Lily's face. She couldn't quite believe what she was witnessing.

Confused as to the sudden change in Lily's mood. Vince's eyes rose into questioning look. "What's wrong?" He finally asked after the silence went on for long enough.

Breathing out a breath of air, Lily blinked. "You- you joked!"

By now, Vince was in utter bewilderment. "That's why you're acting like that?" Vince stated, breaking out into a smile as he threw his head back in amusement.

"And- and you're smiling!" Lily stared in horror. Her eyes widened in shock as she glance at his features and soon threw herself across the table, placing her hand onto his forehead.

Vince's eyebrows shot up at her actions. "What are you doing?" He laughed, the light in his eyes flickering as he laughed.

Removing the hand from his face, Lily placed on her own. "Maybe it's me that's seeing things. First you joked and now you're smiling. What's next? Are you going to grab my cheeks and give me a kiss!" Rambling on, Lily pondered wether she were the one that was ill or possibly coming down with a fever.

Huffing as Vince continued to laugh, he paused for a brief moment and spilled some coffee. "Why, do you want me to stop?" At those words, Lily put her antics to an end. "No!" She yelled with wide eyes.

It would seem as though at the sudden loudness of her voice, attention was being attracted to their direction. Embarrassed at this, Lily threw her hand over her mouth. "Oops." She mumbled.

Once again, Vince laughed.

Averting her gaze to the notebook which remained untouched in the corner of the table, Lily pointed to it with a solemn look.

"Still got no ideas?" She asked, her head tilting to the side as she assessed his features.

Vince's eyes sunk. He shook his head sadly. "No. Still got the case of majors writers block. And...I'm not quite sure when it'll be over." Vince smiled sadly at this.

Lily did too. She was saddened by this greatly since Vince seemed like the type who would sit down and immerse himself into this other tranquil world where it was just him, his notebook, a pen and the inspiration around him.

Instead, he remained in a battered booth at the back of the coffee shop with a closed book and pen that was filled with ink and the inspiration around him nowhere to be found.

Looking down at her watch, Lily made a sudden movement to rise from her place in the booth.

"Looks like I've got to get going...I really do hope that you find your inspiration real soon. I'll see you tomorrow." With one last look, Lily moved past Vince, a small breeze blowing into his face as his eyes shut in response.

Turning around to watch her leave, he quirked a brow.

From the minute she rose to the moment she was out the door, a small, minor pain spread throughout his chest.

It was then that Vince realised that maybe, just maybe....

He didn't want her to go.

•••••••••

Hope you enjoyed!