D A Y S E V E N

Monday, 7th October - 8:47am

Licking his lips, Vince pushed the doors of the cafe open, entering along with the gust of wind that followed him shortly behind.

His eyes travelled up to his booth, but as he looked, he stood stuck to the ground. Vince's eyes narrowed into slits as he spotted a figure sitting in the booth.

It was Lily.

Releasing a deep breath, he pondered why she came back as well as why she was here before him. Glancing at the clock he saw that it wasn't 9 O'Clock yet. She was early.

Changing direction, he moved to the counter, nodding at the girl behind it as she smiled, turning to the coffee machine and pouring 2 mug fulls.

Sliding them over, he nodded, turning around and making a bee line to the booth.

Slipping in, he placed the mug before her, furrowing his eyebrows as he took notice of the way her hair cascaded over her face, shielding it from his eyes.

"Lily?" He started, his hard gaze softening as his eyes narrowed at the way her shoulders bopped up and down, almost as if she was-

Looking up to meet Vince's concerned gaze, Lily smiled sadly, wiping away a stray tear that travelled down her cheek.

Her eyes were red and bloodshot. Her nose matching the colour of her eyes. "Lily? Wha-what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Vince asked, his throat becoming hoarse as he detested the sight of tears in her eyes.

"I thought about what you said yesterday." She started. Her words caused a wave of guilt to travel throughout Vince as he licked his lips, averting his gaze for a split second.

"Lily, I'm so-" laughing softly, she stopped him. "No. I guess I owe you an explanation." She shrugged, clearing her throat as Vince shook his head in protest. "No. You don't owe me anything. The things I said yesterday- I shouldn't have. I don't know you properly enough to judge. So I'm truly sorry." This was odd for Vince, mainly because he never apologised to anyone. Probably because he'd never speak to people enough to get to know them and mean much to them, therefore inevitably causing pain when he messed up or did something wrong to them.

"It's okay. But I should tell you. I enjoy talking to you so what I did yesterday- I'm sorry too." She smiled softly as she released a small sigh.

It took her a moment to compose herself as she shut her eyes tightly. Vince watched her intently with a look of sadness lingering in his eyes as he witnessed the hysterical state she was in. This girl wasn't like the girl he'd been seeing every morning. The girl was a completely different person. "As you know, things weren't the best at home for me. Hence why I ran." She cleared her throat, averting her gaze from Vince.

"I was abused. Verbally and physically." Sucking a breath, Vince spoke up softly. "Lily, you don't have to continue." Letting out a sniffle, she looked up to meet his gaze. "I've not spoken about this to anyone. So let me just- let me just get it out." She told him, pushing away from the table so that her head could rest against the head of the booth.

"I guess it all started when I found myself standing on their doorstep. I was 4 years old. Alan and Lorie were their names. They took me in and I thought everything was going to be okay. But it wasn't. They were abusive. It was sick." Vince listened and couldn't help but feel bad for her. She'd been through a lot and it made him all the more guilty for saying what he'd said the previous day.

"I know that doesn't explain why I'm never in the same place for long. Because that's not why. That's only apart of the reason." She continued, her finger drawing patterns on the table. "I was abandoned by my mother. That's why I'd ended up on Alan and Lorie's doorstep. She didn't want me, so she left me. I'll never know why. I don't blame her, I'm sure she had a valid reason. But it hurt, a lot. I'd grow up waiting for her come and she never did. I couldn't take it anymore, so I ran. I move around all the time because I'm scared of getting attached to someone, only to be left by them, like my mom did. So I don't let myself stay anywhere for too long, to make sure I don't get attached." It all made sense to Vince now.

By now, Lily had stopped crying. Her voice was still hoarse and quiet and the signs of her crying were still there. "If I had known, I wouldn't have said those things to you. I'm sorry." Vince told her, sincerity pouring out along with each word.

Smiling at him softly, she opened her mouth to speak. "I know." Looking up to meet his gaze once again, she spoke. "Thank you." Furrowing his eyebrows, Vince allowed his eyes to sweep over her face in confusion, almost as if her face held the answer to his question.

"For listening. I haven't told anyone about it because I was scared of them seeing me like I've always saw myself." Shaking his head, Vince asked. "And that is?" She sighed softly. "Broken." Silence overcame them as they both paused to think.

"You're not." Vince firmly stated, causing Lily to scoff. "I am." She disagreed. "But because of you, I feel like I'm not." Smiling softly, he glanced down at the table and back up to her. "Okay. Let's say you are broken. Which you're not. You don't feel complete because of me. Hell, I didn't do anything. I just listened. I may have helped you by picking up the shattered pieces but it's you and only you who can glue them back together. You're strong, just know that." Taking in his words, she smiled. "I ran. I'm not strong. I'm weak. I'm a coward." She cried out in a voice that was no louder than a whisper.

"I beg to differ." Vince challenged. "When I look at the girl in front of me, I don't see a weak, coward. I see a girl with a bad addiction for coffee. A girl who chooses not to wear her heart on her sleeve. A girl who does whatever she sets her mind to. She's impulsive. Strong. And anything but a coward. Just because you cried, it doesn't make you weaker. It makes you stronger. Especially since you could talk about a situation that's left you permanently hurt." Vince's word warmed Lily's heart. She couldn't believe what he saying. But it was true. She'd come to terms with her past, especially after allowing herself to unscrew the bottle and let it all out.

It felt good. Assuring, even. "I'm glad I met you, Vince." She smiled, watching as he smiled back. "Well I'm glad you chose to stick around." He took a sip of coffee, cracking a small smile as he replied. After the words had left his lips, he began to feel a warm sensation overcome him. And it wasn't the coffee.

••••••••••

Hope you enjoyed 💖