21- Who Said Nature Was Beautiful?

It has been a couple of weeks since our dangerous adventure and for the most part everything has gone back to normal. My graze from the bullet has nearly healed, although I'm sure it will leave a scar. I've gone back to working for the Armettas with no worries of someone following me there. Even Mickey and I have returned to our normal hatred for each other.

It's great.

Today is Kyle's last basketball game for the season. It's April and that's very late for the basketball season to be ending, the reason behind it is the fact Kyle's school had so many snow days and had to reschedule as a result. Today may be a work day, but I'm making sure not to miss it. Therefore, I brought along Allegra and Elena. Elena who once again requested that Mickey and Tony attend as well. Tony I don't mind but Mickey? He's another story. Thankfully when we arrived my mom and Miranda are seated in the stands. Their presence means I won't be forced to endure Mickey completely alone.

We all watch intently as Kyle dribbles and shoots, giving his team a three point advantage. When the referee blows his whistle, Elena asks for an explanation of the rules due to her unfamiliarity to the game. Tony happily places her on his lap as he explains the positions and rules of the game as it plays out in front of her. That leaves an empty space awkwardly between Mickey and I. 

Mickey looks at the gap, pondering to himself. It's almost like he's questioning whether to fill the gap himself. Miranda nudges me with her elbow as the buzzer goes off. "What are we going to do for our senior project?" she asks.

Senior projects happen during the last month of school--May. During this time, we all take the opportunity to do new things instead of going to school. Some of these things include, traveling, coordinating and learning dance moves, shadowing someone who's career interests you, and even learning a new instrument. All you have to do is be ready to share your project with the rest of the grade during the last the week of school. 

Sounds easy if one has an idea but Miranda and I have been contemplating possible activities and are still empty handed. It is the beginning of April and we have to hand in our senior project permission slip next week. If we don't, we don't get to do a senior project and instead will have to continue going to classes. Not fun. 

"I have no idea. We really need to figure out something," I reply.

Tony must have been listening to our conversation as he leans across Mickey to inject. "You have senior projects too?"

Miranda nods. "Yes sir."

"You guys should come hiking with us on the Greater Niagara Circle and Friendship route. We'll be making a video of our experience; it would be great to have you guys come along," he suggests. "Right, Mickey?"

Mickey simply shrugs as his gaze focuses on the basketball game occurring.

"Does this mean we'll be sleeping outside? And peeing behind bushes?" Miranda asks hesitantly. Her face is scrunched in disgust at the mere thought.

Tony nods. "But it's not as bad as it is sounds. It's fun."

She curls her lip upward to emphasize her repulsion. "I don't know."

"Yeah," I say. "I don't know either. I don't want to intrude on you and Mickey."

Mickey turns to look at me. "It's Mike," he corrects with a hard expression but this hardness quickly melts as he sighs. "But don't worry about it. You guys should come. Maybe you'll like it and you can finally find your real family in the wild, Kai."

His smug smirk causes a glare to take over my face."Too bad you won't be able to see your own. Wild pigs don't live on hiking trails."

Both Tony and Miranda are attempting to stifle their chuckles at our exchange. I sigh, turning to my mom to ask her about going hiking with Tony, Miranda, and Mickey. After a lot of convincing from Tony, Miranda, and I, mom finally agrees to allow me to go. For the duration of my time, I watch happily as my brother singlehandedly beats the opposing team. It's a relaxing way to spend my afternoon.