16- Danger at Every Turn

Soft vibrations and melodies gently meet my ears. I roll over, ignoring the vibration of my pillow. I'm nearly back into the abyss of dream world when a hand meets my shoulder and shakes me.

"Kai, your phone," a female voice croaks.

Slowly, I force my eyes open and am met with intense rays of sunshine beaming through my window. I look down on the floor at Miranda who lays on her sleeping bag. Her legs are spread wide and her forearm covers her face from the sun. Seeing her there, reminds me of our wild and adventurous time last night. Yesterday was the last day of school before spring break; so of course we had to celebrate. Therefore, we did the only thing that seemed right: watch all episodes of Breaking Bad, in cow decorated onesies, with a ton of ice cream and kettle corn. Well, we attempted to watch all episodes; I think we clocked out at around four thirty in the morning, sometime during season three.

Sliding my hand under my pillow, I pull out my phone. Not bothering to look at the caller I.D. I answer the call with a groggy, "Hello?"

"Kai?" asks the manly voice on the other line.

"Tony? What time is it?" 

"A little after two," he replies.

"In the afternoon?" I ask in shock. "Shit." Now that means I really have to get up but I can't gather the energy to move.

"Don't tell me you were asleep."

"Alright then I won't tell you," I say.

"We're supposed to go to the mall today. You know, to talk?" he states and suddenly I remember.

"Oh crap, I almost forgot. I'm with Miranda right now and I don't--"

"Is that the girl who saw me act like a complete idiot last week at the party?" he asks.

It's been a week since Tony got completely wasted and spilled his secret to Mickey. When Tony came off his hangover--and that process took all of the weekend--Mickey and Tony had a long conversation. What happened during that conversation? I have no idea but that's what I'm supposed to be finding out today.

"Yeah, that's her."

"She can come too." He pauses. "I mean she already knows my secret and if she's a friend of yours than she's a friend of mine."

"Awesome," I reply, glad that I didn't have to choose one friend over the other. "We'll be at the mall by 3:30. See you!"

"See you" he bids before hanging up the phone.

After placing my phone on the nightstand, I remain curled up in a ball looking at Miranda who snores softly. "Miranda," I call.

"Mmm," she moans turning over on her side so her back faces me.

"Miranda, time to get up!"

"No, I don't want to," she groans, pulling the sides of her pillow over her ears. 

Grabbing the pillow beside me, I chuck it her direction and it bounces off her head. She swats away at the air in annoyance. "Damn it, Kai. I was having a good dream! Ryan Gosling was about to propose to me."

I can't help but chuckle at her irritation. "We're going to the mall."

"The mall will be open in two more hours. Why'd you have to wake me up now?"

"Well for one, I still have work to go to and two, Tony wants us to meet him there," I state.

Her eyes pop open. "You mean your technically ex-gay boyfriend?" she asks.

"Yeah him." 

She pushes herself up so that she leans on her elbows. "Hm okay. I guess I'm cool with it. But one thing," she begins.