The Unquiet Dead - IV

Start from the beginning

"What for?"

"We are so very few. The last of our kind. We face extinction."

"Why, what happened?" Lily spoke up, making the Gelth turn to her.

"Once we had a physical form like you, but then the war came."

"War?" Dickens was very confused. Lily looked over at the Doctor who caught her eye. She had a pretty good feeling on what war it was. "What war?"

"The Time War." The Gelth told him. The Doctor looked down at the table in sorrow. "The whole universe convulsed. The Time War raged. Invisible to smaller species but devastating to higher forms. Our bodies wasted away. We're trapped in this gaseous state."

"So that's why you need the corpses?" The Doctor guessed.

"We want to stand tall." The Gelth replied. "To feel the sunlight, to live again. We need a physical form, and your dead are abandoned. They're going to waste. Give them to us."

"We can't." Lily started to feel sick.

"Why not?"

Lily was speechless. It could save their species but yet it's not right for them to live through the corpses of other people who deserve to be left in peace.

"Open the rift." They continued. "Let the Gelth through. We're dying. Help us. Pity the Gelth."

The gas forms return to the lamps making Gwyneth collapse to the floor. Lily let go of Sneed and Roses hand to kneel by her side.

"Gwyneth?" She tried to pick her up. "Are you okay?"

-

Lily and Rose helped Gwyneth onto a couch. As she laid down Lily spoke softly to her. "You're okay. Just sleep."

"But my angels, miss." Lily frowned at Gwyneth's attempt to talk. "They came, didn't they? They need me?"

"They do need you, Gwyneth." The Doctor spoke before Lily could get her answer out. "You're they're only chance of survival."

"Oh shut it you!" The Doctor was taken back by her sudden outburst as were Rose, Sneed and Dickens. "I just told you, leave her alone. She's exhausted and she's not fighting your battles" Looking back down at Gwyneth she could feel the Doctor glaring daggers at her. "Drink this." She said as she handed her a cup of tea from Rose.

Looking back at the Doctor he quickly looked away from her. Lily's heart raced as she realized why he maybe upset with her. Sneed wasn't exactly helping the Doctor's anger.

"Well, what did you say, Doctor?" Sneed ask awkwardly, turning to him. "Explain it again. What are they?"

"Aliens." The Doctor said like he should know what they are.

"Like foreigners you mean?"

"Pretty foreign, yeah," The Doctor nodded then pointed upwards. "From up there."

"Brecon?"

"Wow." Lily sighed and looked over to Rose talking in a hush tone. "What is with these people? Do they have no imagination?"