Chapter 1

A/N

Just a quick warning:
This book will have spoilers from the entire series. If you have not read all of the books written in the Inheritance Cycle read with caution!

...

I gazed at the endless shelves absentmindedly, not really focusing on anything. Gracie was talking to Mother, but I was too zoned out to notice, or care, what they were saying.

"... za? Eliza. Eliza!" I blinked, as Mother pulled me out of my own mind.

"Yes?"

"She's been calling your name for, like, ever!" Gracie informed me, her hands on her hips. I rolled my eyes at her, which earned me stamp on the foot.

"Ow!" I groaned and turned back to Mother, who was watching us with a disapproving glare. "Yes, Mother?" I asked looking around and vaguely realizing we were outside of the store now.

"I need to get this home soon, otherwise it's going to melt." She said, gesturing to a grocery bag, but I had no idea what was in the brown plastic. "Basically, I need gas. I'm going to trust you to turn around and get it once we get home." My mouth dropped open as her words hit me.

"You mean ... you're going to let me drive?!" She nodded frowning slightly.

"Listen to me though." I nodded as I helped her pile the bags into the car. "I don't want you going anywhere other than the gas station, don't forget to turn the car off before you pump the gas, and, for goodness sake ... just be safe!"

I smiled at her, still feeling a bit overwhelmed that she was going to let me drive! She started the engine and steered the car out of the parking lot.

...

I hopped out of the car, a huge smile on my face as Mother pulled into the driveway. Gracie started carrying stuff in as Mother stood in front of the driver's side door. "You heard me when I said be safe. Yes?" She asked, arms crossed.

I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes as I responded with a simple, "Yes, ma'am." She nodded and stepped aside, allowing me to get inside the old car. I resisted the urge to squeal as I stepped in.

I pulled out of the driveway, like I had practiced doing in an empty parking lot, and drove down the road to the nearest gas station.

...

I pulled into an open spot and turned the car off. I stepped out and got everything paid for, then started pumping the gas, and after that, all I could do was wait.

As I stood and waited, an older man wondered over to me. He had a cropped silver beard under his hood. He was wearing a dark green jacket and simple jeans and shoes. I silently prayed he wasn't coming to talk to me, it was getting late and I wasn't in the mood to break somebody's nose because they're threatening to kidnap me.

I stuck my hands into my pockets and leaned against the pillar in what I hoped was nonchalant-like look, but he continued to walk towards me. I glared at him now, not caring if I offended him.

"Hello." He said, a smile forming under the beard.

"Can I help you?" He grinned at my response and nodded slightly.

"I only want to know your name."

My name? Why would he want to know my name?!

"Why?" I had to force the words through my clinched teeth.

"I promise, I will be on my way the minute you tell me." He smiled warmly at me.

"And if I don't want to?"