The Story Behind the Story

Hey everyone

So I was thinking this morning that, just like Stephenie Meyer shared the story about the dream she had that eventually evolved into the Twilight Saga, perhaps you too may be interested to know what inspired the story of Mikaal?

Well, it has been a life long dream of mine to write a fictional novel, but I kept allowing things to distract me and kept saying to myself, "I will get to it eventually". Nonetheless, five years ago in 2012, I was chatting to a close friend of mine (who may want to stay anonymous, so I'll just call her M), who was also passionate about writing, and we decided one day to begin meeting in cafes and interesting places to just write. We would meet once a week, bringing a notebook and a reliable pen (which I must admit isn't always easy to come by!) and give each other input at the end of our 'writing session'.

During our first 'meeting' in one of my most favourite places in the world - San Churro Chocolateria, which is paradise on earth for chocoholics like me - in spite of the warm, buzzing atmosphere of the cafe we had chosen, I remember sitting there being completely stuck. I simply had no idea at all what to write. My mind just drew a blank. So I asked M to give me a female and a male character name that wasn't so 'ordinary' - to which she suggested Dalia and Mikaal. She also gave me the idea to not overthink things but to simply put my pen to paper and see what story unfolds.

Well I took her advice, which resulted in the following first couple of chapters coming to life. Below is my actual first draft of the story of Mikaal in its beginnings:

Yes, unfortunately five years did pass of more distractions and just 'life' getting in the way, but here I am today, committed to seeing this story to the end - and looking forward to your help through your input, which will mean a lot and are the...

Yes, unfortunately five years did pass of more distractions and just 'life' getting in the way, but here I am today, committed to seeing this story to the end - and looking forward to your help through your input, which will mean a lot and are the biggest motivators!

I hope you enjoy this story as much as I am enjoying writing it! Also, as I will remind you throughout this book, I'd love your feedback, so please follow me, add my book to your reading list and share your comments with the buttons below!

Sincerely,
Noelle

P.S. I just want to acknowledge a few more people who have been really helpful on my journey so far:

* Another friend who I will call M2, for being my sounding board, helping me further develop my ideas

* Multiple friends such as S & M for your input on my work so far

* @RedSugaMonster for your encouragement and for making my awesome book cover - way better than what I came up with!