Chapter 6 - The Escape Artist

I decided to stay up late at night, just to see if I saw anything out of the ordinary. I was waiting in the living room with the lights off except for in the kitchen. I was trying fight the sleep falling upon my eyes as I slouched in dad's lazy chair. I rested them a little bit when all of a sudden I heard soft thump come from the kitchen. I jerk my body upright in the chair and leaned forward fixing my gaze toward the kitchen. In the quiet of the night I see Shiva walking down the hall and then out of sight. I don't know why I was trying to be so quiet and stealthy since Shiva was a cat and not a murdering human.
I crept into the kitchen with a perplexed look on my face. "How did she get in?" I thought to myself. The window is shut and there is no other way in or out except the front door. Then all of a sudden I felt a slight draft of wind followed by subtle whistling of the wind. Scared the crap out of me at first, but then I followed to where the sound of the wind was coming from. It was coming from up high towards the ceiling. Just above the support beams was a small crack, but big enough for a cat to fit through.
"So this is how you get in and out" I said to myself quietly. Somehow Shiva must be able to figure her way through the walls of my family's old house and sneak outside. "A solo crime" I whispered again. Shiva didn't have an accomplice. She was committing the crime all on her own. Makes sense since she is a stray after all. "I gotta tell mom and dad" I thought. But even if I did they wouldn't believe me. Its just what I thought no matter how right I think I am.
    I turn around to go to my room and sitting on her hind legs looking up at me is Shiva with her wide green eyes. Stuck to her nose I saw a tiny yellow feather. My eyes widen with shock and excitement! "I caught y.. y.. achoo!" I sneezed.