Chapter 3: Departure

Start from the beginning

Wendy smiled warmly and nodded, stretching her arms before her and gripping her hands together. "War is not for me, Selvina. I want to help you as much as I can, I truly do, but I have no place here."

Captain Hook, standing beside her, placed a hand on her shoulder. "You have a place at my side."

Wendy lifted one hand and rested it on Hook's, her smile widening. "I know, my dear, but you will be sailing away soon to engage the blockades in Frenis. I do not want to sit here uselessly and wait for you. I've decided that I will wait for you in Tortug, where we first met."

Captain Hook gave her shoulder and squeeze and sighed. "Very well, Wendy. I will sleep more comfortably knowing that you are out of harm's way."

"There is no war in Midae. I will be fine. I admit that I miss my inn as well."

"Save some rum for me."

She turned and faced her handsome lover, wrapping her arms around his waist. "Always."

They then kissed once more before Wendy picked up her bag of supplies and waited for Goldilocks and Rapunzel to join her. Once the three girls were together, they waved goodbye, walked down the short pier and climbed into one of the longboats that would take them to huge, five-masted barques anchored in the distance. As the boat was soon filled to capacity, the rower untied the mooring rope, pushed the vessel away from the dock, and began rowing.

Selvina, Tinkerbelle, and Captain Hook stood and watched for many minutes. Though Jack and Red didn't make it in time to see them off, Selvina knew their hearts were with their departing friends. They had not experienced the trials and adventures that she had gone through while in Peter Pan's captivity thus their bonds with three departing women was not as strong. Even so, Selvina knew that they would miss them.

While a captive of Pan, she had been accompanied by another friend too, a quiet, snow-haired woman named Snow White. Unlike the Snow White Selvina had grown up learning about, this one had no dwarven friends and certainly no Prince Charming.

Well, Selvina thought, unless Tarzan counted.

Snow White had remained on Skull Island with Tarzan, her rescuer and friend. She had no family to go back to and, despite its many dangers, had quickly grown fond of the island. Selvina was happy for her. At least in Snow's case, she was living her happy ending. The young woman had suffered most of Peter Pan's brutalities and deserved a wonderful, painless life.

And now, there was only Selvina.

Tinkerbelle was still with her but the fairy had lived her life in Wonderland and was exploring the rest of the world on her own volition. She had never been a slave to Pan, although she endured some torture by his hands and narrowly escaped death. As dangerous as her life had been at times, however, she had always been free.

Selvina glanced at Captain Hook, standing beside her, and caught him wiping his eyes with one finger. Smiling, she reached out and grabbed his hand. He looked down at her, nodded, and squeezed her hand briefly before crossing his arms over his chest.

"When this is all over," the captain said softly, "I'm going to marry that woman."

Selvina watched as the longboat was reaching its vessel, the forms on board readying to climb aboard. She wanted to say something to the captain's remark but found no words. Instead, she kept watching.

Slowly, the longboat bumped against the barque's hull and its occupants began climbing up its side. She wasn't absolutely certain but Selvina thought she spotted three forms sporting a caramel-coloured head, a thick length of black hair, and a fuzzy head of gold.

"Safe travels," she muttered aloud as a breeze swept by, carrying her words with it.

Captain Hook glanced at the nearest vessel's flag. "A western wind is blowing. Their journey should be swift."

When the longboat was lifted up the ship's side, Captain Hook and Selvina turned around and made their way to their horse, tied off nearby. Both of them climbed up into the saddle, Selvina wrapping her arms around the captain's waist, and had one last look at the barque.

"Get her a nice ring," Selvina said to the captain. "She deserves the best one there is."

"I'd buy her the mine it came from if I could," he replied before flipping his tricorn hat onto his head.

As the autumn wind whispered goodbyes and farewells through the naked trees, the captain urged his mount forward, the young woman behind him hanging on tightly as the fairy on her shoulder did the same.

Across the bay, aboard the huge ship, three forms watched them leave, their hearts heavy.