Chapter 18: 5.6.2 I Believe the Children are Our Future

Start from the beginning

"Did you draw this?" Dean asked. Jesse nodded as if it were obvious. Cassandra liked this kid. He had attitude, something she had when she was his age. He reminded her of herself. The thought brought a smile to her lips.

"It's the tooth fairy," Jesse told Dean. Dean turned the picture back to face him and studied it. When Cassandra glanced over his shoulder to study it she realized that it's exactly how the man in the hospital had described the man that attacked him.

"That's what you think the tooth fairy looks like, huh?"

"Yeah. My dad told me about him." Dean glanced over at Sam and then to Cassandra whose gaze was locked on Jesse.

"Huh."

"What, didn't your dad tell you about the tooth fairy?" Jesse inquired. Dean chuckled, shaking his head as he set the paper down on the table.

"My dad? My dad told me different stories."

"Well, the tooth fairy isn't a story," Jesse said, crossing his arms over his chest. Cassandra took a step forward, leaning on the chair next to her.

"What do you know about itching powder, Jesse?" the blonde asked. Jesse turned to look at her.

"That stuff will make you scratch your brains out."

"Pop Rocks and Coke?"

"You mix them and you'll end up in the hospital. Everyone knows that." Jesse shrugged lightly. Cassandra glanced over at Dean, watching as he pulled the joy buzzer out of his pocket and held it up. Jesse's eyes widened in fear. "You shouldn't have that."

"Why not?" Cassandra pressed.

"It can electrocute you." Dean shook his head and studied the toy between his fingers before looking back down to the kid in front of them. Jesse's green eyes watched the Hunter worriedly as he spoke.

"Actually, it can't. It's just a wind-up toy. It's totally harmless. Doesn't even have batteries." Jesse's expression faltered slightly.

"So it can't shock you?"

"Nope. Not at all. I swear." Cassandra furrowed her eyebrows, trying to figure out what Dean was doing. He had a hunch, one he wasn't sharing with she and Sam.

"Oh. Okay," Jesse replied, slightly disappointed. Dean chuckled, and shrugged.

"I mean, all it does is just shake in your hand. It's kind of lame. See?" Before anyone could react, Dean turned to Sam and pressed the joy buzzer to his chest. Sam stiffened and turned to Dean the moment he pulled away, shooting him a murderous glare. Cassandra watched in horror and she wanted to yell at Dean. What if he had been wrong and Sam died? What would he do then? "What did you say your name was, again?"

Cassandra followed the Winchesters down the steps of the porch, shoving her way in between them. "Dude, what the hell?" she asked, turning to face Dean. Dean shrugged.

"I had a hunch. I went with it."

"You risked my ass on a hunch?" Sam replied in disbelief. He scoffed. "What if it actually worked and Cassandra couldn't heal or save me?" Dean rolled his eyes.

"You're fine. Besides, now we know who's turning this town into Willy Wonka's worst nightmare," Dean said simply. Sam stopped walking, as did Dean and Cassandra.

"The kid." Dean nodded and looked over at the blonde who glanced around uneasily. Something about the whole thing was bothering her. Dean brushed it off, figuring that it was just the fact that a kid had that kind of power.

"Yeah. Everything Jesse believes comes true. He thinks the tooth fairy looks like Belushi, uh, joy buzzers really shock people, boom, that's what happens."