Chapter 13: "Of course it's Lucifer. It's always Lucifer."

Start from the beginning

    "Well, the doctors say that Bobby can never walk again." Cassandra's face fell. "But he's strong. He'll get through it. And Sam and Dean, well, they're what you call pissed. The tension's thick between them and you were their peacekeeper and distraction."

    "That actually makes sense." Cassandra clapped her hands together. "So what are we starting with?" Castiel gazed at her softly before glancing around the room. His eyes skimmed over all of the weapons that were scattered around the main room of the mansion before landing on the Nephilim across the room from him.

    "Rest, Cassandra. You're still worn out from your combat with Michael and those demons back at the motel. Also, I can tell that you're a little sore from Zachariah's stabbing. I assumed he would have healed you, too, but I guess not since you wouldn't have died." Cassandra furrowed her eyebrows.

    "What do you mean I wouldn't have died?" she demanded, her voice growing louder. Cas eyed her in confusion and cocked his head to the side. Didn't she know? He figured she would have caught on by now.

    "Cassandra, only a weapon of Heaven can kill you. An angel blade or an archangel sword. It's your Grace. All of your suicide attempts over the years should've killed you but your Grace saved you." Her eyes widened and she shook her head, stepping towards Castiel in denial.

    "No. No. I almost died. I did die. I had flatlined once and they brought me back. I can die, Castiel. I can die."

    "No, Cassandra. The doctors didn't bring you back, you did. Your Grace pushed passed the barrier of the medications and healed as many of your wounds as possible. What the doctors called a miracle was actually Grace," Cas explained. Instead of relief like Cas expected, he found that disappointment had taken over in her eyes. Some part of escaping death had bothered her and Cas didn't know why. He figured she would've been happy. She spun on her heel and stormed off down the hall. "Cassandra?" Cas called out. "Cassandra, where are you going?"

    "To rest," she yelled back. The echo of a door slamming shut bounced around the mansion and Cas let out a sigh, glancing over to the glass case that held the swords. If only she knew how powerful she truly was.

~*~

Seven Days into Training

    Cassandra let out a grunt as she was flung back against the wall, a picture frame next to her falling to the floor from her impact. She struggled against the force that kept her pinned to the old wallpaper, crying out as her airway started to restrict. She felt as if someone were choking her, sucking the life out of her. Castiel stepped towards her, arm outstretched and his hand slowly curling into a fist.

    "Fight back, Cassandra!"

    "I can't!" she managed to choke out.

    "Yes, you can! Channel your power and fight back. Never let your guard down! You expect a battle to be fair! A battle will never be fair!" Castiel roared. Cassandra wiggled, desperately trying to escape the force that kept her pressed against the wall. She screamed, the lights flickering and the paintings on the wall rattling. "Stronger!" Cassandra screamed even louder, a couple of light bulbs shattering. Castiel faltered and dropped his hand, Cassandra toppling to the floor roughly. She coughed and picked herself up with shaky legs, clenching her fists at her sides. "You're stronger than this, Cassandra. Use that power."

    She charged forward, tackling Castiel to the floor. The rolled around before Cassandra managed to pin him to the ground, straddling him. She pulled a regular kitchen knife from her jacket and went to drive it through his chest when Castiel reached up and grabbed her wrists, flipping them over. Her eyes widened as she struggled to free her hands from his grasp, the blade raised above her this time.