“It’s a pleasure to meet someone as beautiful as you,” he said, winking at her. “Do you mind showing me around?”

Feeling even more glares being thrown at her, Aurora groaned inwardly. She searched for Gabriella for help, but the girl wore an identical reverent look most of the female population now wore minus the bitterness. She was just about to reply when someone beat her to it.

“Avary! I’ll show you around!” a girl offered, rushing forward with a large smile.

Aurora quickly turned away, trying to keep her neutral expression. The girl had a ridiculous amount of makeup, and her bright red lipstick stood out like blood on a white cloth. She had somehow made her skirt a lot shorter, and half of the buttons of her top were unbuttoned. Okay, maybe not half, but certainly more than enough.

Taking this to her advantage, Aurora nudged Gabriella. Before she could even react, Aurora was dragging the flailing blonde away.

“Aurora!” she whined. “He was so close! I could just -”

“Gabriella, Cade’s acting weird.”

Suddenly, she felt Gabriella cease resisting. Aurora loosened her grip, and the two of them walked through the almost empty corridor. Aurora frowned. Cade wasn’t usually like this. Frankly, Aurora had never seen Cade acting so…not himself.

“Any idea where he might be?”

Gabriella’s eyebrows knitted together in concentration, Avary forgotten behind. Her eyes lost their playfulness, and her lips were set in a grim line.

“I think I know where he went.”

Slightly taken aback by Gabriella’s sudden change in attitude, Aurora nodded slowly. She followed Gabriella aimlessly through the corridor. They emerged out of the West door, leading them to the large pond at the back of the school. Aurora shut her mouth and trailed after Gabriella. She knew better than to argue with her in this state.

Cade sat on the gentle slope inclined towards the pond. One of his legs was bent, on which he rested his elbow. Aurora saw him pull back his other hand and throw something small towards the still pond. The small rock, Aurora had made out, soared in a gentle arc through the azure sky before landing with a soft plop into the pond, creating a series of small ripples.

Gabriella slowly walked forwards, her footsteps muffled by the soft soil beneath their feet. For some reason, Aurora found herself unable to walk forward. Something was telling her that this wasn’t something she should interfere, and for some reason, she really trusted that small voice of hers.

She watched as Gabriella walked past her and sat down by his side, a decent amount of space between the two. He chose to ignore her presence. Aurora saw Gabriella’s mouth move to form words that she couldn’t hear. Cade tensed, and worry filled Aurora. The two best friends never fought. To see Cade like this, in such a strange mood, was unnerving.

“You don’t know anything!” Cade hollered, rising up in a flash.

Aurora’s eyes grew wide. Never would she expect Cade to scream at a girl, especially Gabriella. The blonde froze in her place for a second before she abruptly leapt up. Contrary to Aurora’s belief, Gabriella noticed Cade’s strange behavior. For so many days, Gabriella had watched impassively as Cade grew more and more distant. All the while, she kept her temper in check. Like a rubber band snapping after being stretched for a long time, Gabriella lost it.

She was in front of Cade in a flash. She pulled back her fist, and it struck Cade’s jaw with a soft thud. The punch was so hard that Cade lost his balance and staggered backwards, almost falling.