Ch. 13: All Sorts of Fucked Up

"So, I've decided what you're gonna' do."

I raised an eye brow and folded my arms over my chest in defiance. Duff was gonna' tell me what to do? That's rich.

"You decided what I'm going to do?"

"Yes."

This oughtta' be good.

"You're going to live with us."

I snorted. "That's not happening."

"Why not?"

"First off, I do what I want to do. Not what you decide for me."

"Yes, you've made it quite clear that you're stubborn as shit."

I ignored him and continued. "Second, I don't have any of my belongings here. I don't even have a bed."

"We can go grab your things. And you can take my bed. I'll take the floor."

"And what about my dad? What about the rent and his alcohol?"

"The rent?" Duff furrowed his eye brows. "You pay the rent, too?"

"Why else would I be pushing drugs? For fun?"

"Shit, Max. This is all sorts of fucked up," he combed his hands through his hair, his face frozen in disbelief.

"Sorry."

Duff sighed and shook his head. "Look, you can pay for the rent while living here. As for the alcohol, leave him some beer and some money and he can start going to the bar and getting his own beer. He's not your responsibility, Max. He's a grown ass man."

"Well, he acts like a child," I said.

Duff stared at me intensely before speaking again. "So, what'll it be?"

"I thought you already decided what I was going to be doing with my life."

Duff shrugged. "I did. But I don't want you to resent me. I want to know what you want. So choose: us, or him."

I opened my mouth to argue, but realized there was nothing left to say. Duff had pretty much covered it all. What other reason was there for me not to stay?

"I guess I can stay here. But, like I said, I've got to go back for my things."

"I'm going with you," Duff said immediately.

"What? No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Why not?"

"Because! Because, I-" I stammered. I really didn't want to answer, but I knew I had to give him a good reason. "I don't want you to see what I live in."

His expression went from stern to soft and his brown eyes melted to pools of chocolate as he stared at me.

"Max, I don't care about all that," his voice was gentle and he stroked my cheek, just below the puffy red mark under my eye. "I just want to make sure you come back safely."