Chapter 7: Angels, Demons, and Nephilims, oh my!

Start from the beginning

She pulled the phone away from her ear and stared down at it, rolling her bottom lip between her teeth in thought. If she called him back then it would just make her look like an idiot who's too dependant on two strangers. If she didn't call him back then Dean would continue to think she's dead.

The honking of a horn snapped her out of her thoughts and she looked up to see a car slow down to her walking pace. A woman leaned forward to see her face better. "Hey, sweetie. Did your ride break down or something?" she questioned. Cassandra shook her head.

"Kinda just walking until I find somewhere to stop," the Nephilim replied. The woman glanced in her rearview mirror to see if she was in the clear before stopping the car and leaning over, opening the passenger door.

"Well, get in. Where ya headed?" Cassandra sent her a grateful smile and climbed in the front seat, slinging her backpack into her lap and closing the door.

"Anywhere I can get to."

"Well, I'm headed to Ilchester, Maryland. Is that an okay destination for you?" she asked. Cassandra smiled gratefully and nodded.

"Yes, thank you." The woman nodded. "I'm Cassandra by the way."

"Ruby," the woman replied. Her brown hair reflected the incoming light from the sunroof of her car, reminding Cassandra of the sparkle of the Winchesters' blades against the lights in her apartment when they first came for her. "How old are you anyways? You look too old to be running away from home."

"Twenty-six. And I'm running away from people, not home. I don't have a home anymore." Ruby frowned slightly but nodded, keeping her focus on the road. Cassandra turned her head to look at Ruby, studying her. "You don't look that much older than me," she commented. Ruby chuckled, shaking her head.

"I'm way older than you'd think. Time is a gift," she said simply. She glanced over at the Nephilim in her passenger seat. "What type of music do you like?"

"I'm good with anything except rap." Ruby gasped and grinned.

"What do you know? Same here!" she exclaimed, flicking on the radio. A pop station came on and Ruby started to sing along, Cassandra laughing before remembering Castiel's words. She stopped laughing immediately. She joined in with Ruby, the two women singing at the top of their lungs without a care in the world, almost as if they had known each other forever. Cassandra and Ruby exchanged wide grins. "Cassandra, I have a feeling this will be a great road trip." Cassandra licked her lips, nodded in agreement, and laughed.

"Yeah. Me, too, Ruby."

~*~

    About three hours into the drive Ruby started to get curious about Cassandra's life. The latter figured that if Ruby was giving her a free ride all the way to Maryland then she could at least entertain her with her life story...or at least the basics of it.

    "Your parents. What are they like?" Ruby had asked first. Cassandra's smile fell and when Ruby noticed her silence she glanced over at her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have—"

    "No, no. It's fine." Cassandra cleared her throat. "My mom died just recently. She was killed. They got the guy who did it and he got the death penalty." Well, it wasn't completely a lie. "And my dad is somewhere out there. He's a raging douchebag and just wants to use me for some plan of his. I don't really know him. I met him once." Ruby raised her eyebrows in shock but let the blonde continue. "And my step-dad took off right after my sister died. I was already in college at the time so it didn't really affect me."

    "How old was your sister?"

    "Twenty-one. We're a year apart. It was a house fire. Her boyfriend had been out of town for the weekend with his brother and when they came back—" Cassandra's breath hitched in her throat and she glanced away.