SIXTEEN - STILL ON THE ROCKS

The sound of her phone ringing was the thing that woke Eliza Stark up from a deep sleep

The sound of her phone ringing was the thing that woke Eliza Stark up from a deep sleep. A sleep that wasn't plagued with the terrible nightmare of her blond friend dying or those visions that randomly come up. It was a dreamless sleep; a peaceful sleep. So, when she finally woke up, she wasn't at all happy about it. Eliza grunted and covered her face with the blanket as the light from the sun hit her face, and her other hand flew out to grab her phone – wherever it was. Eventually her fingers wrapped around the device, which was on the floor beside the couch, and she blindly answered the call as she pressed the phone to her ear.

"This better be an emergency," Eliza spoke, half asleep, to the caller.

"I've been calling you all morning, where are you?"

Eliza opened her eyes and sat up on the couch.  The blanket fell onto her lap, then, and she brushed a few strands of hair from her eyes.  "Peter?" She questioned.  Her eyes found the time by the TV and her face contorted into shock at seeing it was almost noon.  It was also a school day.

"The one and only," Peter Parker replied. "Why haven't you been answering your phone?"

Eliza slowly stood up and gathered the blanket in one arm as she left the living room. Killian, Tony, and Pepper were all still asleep and she didn't want to wake them with her talking.  (Although, she was pretty sure she noticed Tony shut his eyes pretty quickly as she glanced at him).  She shuffled on her feet down the hallway, scrunching her face up as she mentally scolded herself for sleeping in. "Aw, is someone worried about me?" She teased, walking into the kitchen. "I slept in, don't worry. I can sleep through anything so of course I didn't hear my phone at first. Have Josh and Jaz been calling?" Eliza then plopped down into a chair and rested her chin in the palm of her free hand once placing the blanket over her lap again.

"No. I mean, yeah, I was worried. Your evil ancestor is still out there... But good to know you're okay. Um, Josh has. I don't know about Jaz."

Eliza hummed, a frown forming on her lips. "Cool," she mumbled out, and Peter couldn't tell if she sounded more tired, bitter, or hurt. "Hey, if I give you what classes I usually go to, can you pick up whatever work I missed? Lie and say I'm sick or something."

"Um...  Yeah, sure," Peter agreed after a moment of thinking.  Eliza heard a few shouts from his end of the line, and then a gunshot.  "After I take care of-."

"Yeah, yeah, go ahead.  What is it?  Robbery?"

"A mugger," his voice sounded a bit more muffled then and she had a feeling he had the suit on already.  "Do you need me to stop by after get the stuff you missed?"

"If you want," Eliza replied.  She stood up, now enough awake to look around with eyes that weren't half closed, and let the blanket fall to the floor.  She walked over to the coffee machine, and didn't hesitate to start making a pot of coffee.  "Just text me once you're done."