Mia's response was a hollow question, a reflection of her desolation. "What's there to talk about?"

Evangeline persisted, her voice soft and patient. "Talk about. How are you feeling?"

A sigh escaped Mia's lips as she reluctantly allowed a sliver of vulnerability to show. "I've been better."

Evangeline's concern deepened. "Tell me about it."

Mia spoke, her voice tinged with sorrow. "The closest person I had to a proper parental figure is dead."

Evangeline nodded with understanding. "And how are you feeling?"

Mia's response was succinct, encapsulating the enormity of her emotions. "Bad," she admitted.

"I want to help," Evangeline said sincerely.

"I don't need help," Mia replied.

"Yes you do," Evangeline insisted.

Mia's voice wavered with uncertainty. "Then what do I need?"

"I don't know," said Evangeline. "I can't help if you don't tell me what you need."

"I don't need anything."

Evangeline's plea was heartfelt. "Stop."

"Stop what? I'm not doing anything."

"That's precisely the problem."

"So you want me to stop doing nothing?"

Evangeline nodded, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. "Yes."

"What do you propose I do instead?"

"Talk to me."

"I'm already talking to you. I've been talking to you. I've told you how I'm feeling. What else is there to tell?"

In a silent exchange of understanding, Evangeline extended her arms in a comforting embrace. Mia hesitated for a moment before accepting, the warmth of their embrace offering a fleeting moment of solace amidst the storm of grief.

"I love you," Mia said, her words filled with a depth of emotion that transcended the grief that had enveloped her.

Evangeline's response was immediate and sincere. "I love you, too," she replied. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Mia's request was both simple and profound. "I just need you to keep on living. That's all."

"I'll try my best, I guess."

Mia was adamant. "Not good enough. You're not allowed to die. I mean it."

"Um, all right," Evangeline agreed somewhat hesitantly. "If you say so."

Evangeline did her best to try to comfort Mia, something she still struggled with. She tried petting Mia's head and nuzzling her nose.

"Do you want a spider?" asked Evangeline.

Mia's perplexed response came with a hint of laughter. "What?"

Evangeline persisted with a playful tone. "Would you like a spider?"

"No thanks." Mia chuckled softly.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm fine." Mia laughed. "I don't want a spider."

Evangeline, slightly confused but willing to try anything to make Mia smile, asked, "What's so funny?"

Mia's reply was filled with affection. "Nothing. I love you."