*7* Sidekick

"All I did was ask where he was," I began once Sutter and I were outside on the bleachers to the field.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because you're his best friend and—"

"And what?" Sutter interrupted. "What's it to you? I meant why did you care where he was? You and Declan aren't friends."

"Sutter..." I bit my lip. Maybe I assumed that Sutter knew about Declan's secret and also about me and Cavalier. But Declan kept the Cavalier secret from everyone so of course he would be even better at keeping his almost relationship with me a secret too. Maybe Sutter really didn't know anything. But right now, I needed him to. "Declan and I have sort of been seeing each other."

He didn't move. He didn't say anything. He didn't tear his eyes away from mine. Nothing. And then suddenly he nodded.

"Yeah, like I'm going to believe my best friend is seeing my ex girlfriend when he has a three year girlfriend of his own. Yeah. That's believable, Amery. Real believable."

"It's the truth," I said. "Look, I don't know if you know this or not, but Declan is the Cavalier. And these past few months—"

"I know he's Cavalier," Sutter sighed. That's when I paused.

"What?"

"I know that he's the Cavalier," he repeated looking away from me and sitting forward in his seat. "He told me and I thought I was the only one that knew until he told Emma and apparently you—"

"He didn't tell me. I figured it out."

"How'd you figure it out?" he asked as if it was impossible.

"Monday night he was at my house and said that he fell for me but he wasn't good enough for me," I answered. I saw him look down and cuss under his breath. "At first I thought it was you, but then realized that maybe you told him how you broke up with me and he was trying to do it the same way as if it was a hint or something."

"Son of a bitch..." Sutter muttered and then turned to me. "I can't help you."

"What?" I asked as he started to stand and grab his backpack.

"I can't help you," he repeated and I followed him down the bleachers. When we got to the bottom, I got in front of him. "I knew about him being the Cavalier, but not about you two being...whatever you were. Sure I want Declan to be safe, but I'm not going to help my ex girlfriend who he's been seeing behind everyone's back, to save him. You asked me where he was; I told you I don't know. That's it. I can't help you."

"Sutter, he is your best friend," I reminded, reaching out for him but then restraining myself. He looked down at my hand that hadn't made contact and then sighed. "Don't you want him to be okay?"

"Yes, but..."

"But what?"

He sighed stressfully and walked away from me, but I kept up. I had dated him for years and knew exactly how fast he walked when he was frustrated. I used to annoy him in order for him to tell me what was wrong, but nowadays, his patience was much shorter. I guess that's why he stopped eight strides later and turned to me after I ran into his back. "What do you want from me?"

"I just needed someone who could help, but I guess Leighton was right..." I said with a purposeful vague ending. I began walking away without a fight, hoping that the old Sutter would feel compelled to know what I meant.

"Wait," he said and I tried to dissolve my smile before turning back to him. "What did Leighton say?"

"We need another superhero on our side," I said. I wasn't going to accuse him of being Boon because at this point, I doubted it could be him even if he knew about Declan being Cavalier solely off of how he was acting. But it wouldn't hurt to hint.

"Superhero like who?"

"Boon," I shrugged and Sutter laughed pathetically as anyone else would. Boon, like Cavalier, was hard to get in touch with. They were the only heroes (other than the legendary Siren) who were never interviewed or caught or had anything in the media other than their pictures or videos of their powers. They wanted to stay hidden and did a good job at it. With Declan's life being questionable right now, I was sure that Boon was already considering hanging up his costume for good just to stay under the radar. Sutter knew it too and that's why he laughed. But it soon died down.

"Look. Just like everyone else, I don't have a hotline to call Boon or whoever else," Sutter started. "Declan left me out of that shit for good reason, but he did tell me Boon is the kind of worse-comes-to-worse superhero that will cover his ass if needed, which will probably happen."

"Meaning what?"

"Cavalier isn't here anymore," he pursed his lips. "Maybe Boon will make up for his absence."

"And...?"

"And there's a big party tomorrow night that superheroes tend to linger around because of all the idiots drinking and being drunken menaces," Sutter hinted. "Maybe Boon will be around just in case."

"Maybe," I nodded and thought it sounded reasonable. "Maybe I can get an invitation. So whose party is it?"

"Mine."

***

Even though Sutter wanted to help find Declan, he wasn't very open to me about attending his party. At first I was confused with his burst of pride that disallowed him to invite me just this once to something due to reputations, but then I realized through a small argument that we had this fight before. When we dated he didn't want me around the crazy party atmosphere. We went to one party together and didn't see the big deal about them so I dropped it, but he was always...protective about them. Even for a party of his own.

"Because he's still in love with you," Leighton insisted because of it for two days straight but for now I just rolled my eyes at her and continued getting ready at her grand mansion that had more clothes than me and Vixen combined.

"He just doesn't trust the people we go to school with," I assured.

"That's ironic," she muttered and I frowned wondering what she meant, but she was busy putting on more eyeliner than she needed when I looked over. She finished and then looked at me as if she hadn't said anything. "So what are we supposed to do about the bad guys?"

I studied her face and clothes. "You should be worried about what they want to do to you, Leighton. You're freaking gorgeous."

"Thanks," she smiled. Then it fell. "But I can handle myself." I nodded, hoping that was true. "So do you want me to just keep Steele at bay and just follow him or keep him busy or—"

"Steele?" I asked. Why was she asking about Steele?

"Come on. Isn't it obvious?" she asked. Apparently not. "He's done nothing but bad mouth Declan after he's been gone."

"You think Steele is Dagger," I assumed. She nodded. "No..." I frowned. "I've known him since the sixth grade. There's no way it's Steele. He's always disliked Declan, even before this."

"And that's a bigger motive," Leighton pinned.

"He's admitted that he hates Declan; so what? I don't think Steele has powers or intent to kill him though," I said. Sure, he caused problems, but Steele was still my friend and I doubted more than anything that he was so psychopathic like this. He talked a lot of shit but didn't keep up to it.

"I guess we'll just see and find out," Leightonsaid anyways and I could tell that she was confident with whatever she wasgoing to do and I wondered why she was so persistent on helping me or why shewould willingly put herself between me and a possible villain. I watched herfinish the final touches to her curled hair and noticed the confident aura thatsurrounded her. I was missing something about Leighton Turtle and I didn't knowwhat it was, but for now, she was just a great friend to me.