Chapter 4: Sonic's festival problem

It was a beautiful sunny day in the city of Station Square. The gang was walking around seeing everyone get ready for the annual summertime festival of Möbius. Silver used his ESP to hang the banners and streamers along with Tails and Cream helping him. Knuckles was lifting heavy objects like speakers for the entertainment. Finally, Blaze and Amy were putting up and lighting the lanterns.
"This is gonna be a great summertime festival guys!" Amy said with excitement. "Yeah, everything is ready for tomorrow." Silver said when he finished. Then Cream landed next to him and said, " I'm just excited to have fun with all my friends." That's when she looked around and noticed one her friends not there.

"But where's Sonic? He's not here." She said. The gang looked around and saw she was right about his absence. "Hey, where is Sonic? Doesn't he want to be apart of the festival?" Knuckles said. Then Tails began to look a little uneasy. "Guys, I don't think he's coming. He said that he's gonna sit it out this year." Everyone looked surprised to hear Sonic not coming. "What! He doesn't want to come? But he already missed it last year." Amy said upset. "And the year before that." Silver added, "it feels like he's trying to avoid it for some reason." "Then why don't we ask him why?" Blaze said. "I asked him lots of times, but he never told me. It must be really personal." Tails answered. Cream stepped forward to him and said, "If he's sad about something, we should help him. No one should be alone and miss out the fun." "Cream's right. But how can we help him if he won't even tell us?" Said Knuckles. They all thought for a moment until Amy came up with an idea. "I know! If we can't ask Sonic, then maybe we can ask someone close to him."
-
An hour later, Sonic's sister Sonia came over after they called her on the phone.
"Alright guys, what's the problem?" She asked the gang. "Sorry for asking this Sonia but, do you know why Sonic doesn't celebrate the summertime festival?" Tails asked. Sonia looked a little shy about answering that question. "I'm not sure if you guys really want the truth." She said a little uneasy. "Please Sonia! We need to know why he wants to avoid it so we can help him." Amy begged. She thought for a minute on how she didn't want her brother so upset anymore. Finally, Sonia gave in said, "Alright, I'll tell you guys the truth." They all sat down around her to hear the story. " You know when we were 13, we lost our brother Manic. The day we lost him was the day of the festival." They were all surprised to hear this. "When Sonic was given a special task instead of Manic, they got into an argument. Not long after he stormed off, he got into an accident and that's when we lost him." She explained while looking down.

"So that's why Sonic doesn't want to celebrate the Summertime festival. It's the day he lost his brother Manic." Blaze realized. "But it's been years. Shouldn't he be over it by now?" Said Knuckles. "It's not that easy to forget Knux. Sonic felt like it was his fault Manic had the accident. He never even got to apologize." Silver explained. Then Tails stepped up and said "Maybe he doesn't have to forget, but he could try to forgive."
-
With Sonic, he was just resting on a lounge chair listening to music, trying to keep his mind off the festival. Then came in Tails and the gang as they approached him. "Hey Sonic" He saw them "Oh, hey guys. What's up?" Silver said, "We wanted to talk to you about your issue about the festival tomorrow." Then Sonic sat up,"I already told you guys I'm not going. I'm... Just not up for it." "Right just like you weren't last year, and the year before that." Knuckles stated blankly. "And every year, ever since you lost your brother Manic." Blaze finished.
Sonic stood up shocked. He wasn't expecting any of them to know that. "How did you know that?" He asked in concern. "We asked your sister and she told us it was the day he had his accident." Amy answered. He looked annoyed and worried that Sonia told them about his problem. "She did? How much she tell you?" He asked. "Just that you got a special task of some kind instead of him. Then you had an argument before he had an accident." Silver answered as Sonic looked relived.

"We're sorry about your brother. But don't you miss the festival?" Said Cream. "A little. But it's hard to enjoy it when all I can think about is what happened to Manic." Sonic said. "Oh come on Sonic, it's been long enough. You gotta let go!" Said Knuckles "Yeah Sonic. We know how much you miss your brother, but you need to move on." Amy added. He looked a little doubtful for himself. "I don't know guys. How do I know I'm not gonna make the same mistake twice?" He said. Then Tails stepped forward and looked him in the eye. "Sonic listen. Ever since we met, you've been like my brother. We've always looked out for each other despite all the trouble we've been through. I know you wouldn't let anything happen to me or anyone else. We all trust you Sonic, you just need to trust yourself that nothing bad will happen again."

When Tails was done, Sonic stood there and thought for a moment. Finally he said, "Alright. I'll go just this once, for you guys." They all smiled at his answer. "Don't worry Sonic, we swear it will go well at the festival tomorrow." Amy said. "Yeah. But if it doesn't, then we won't make you go again." Blaze said to reassure him. He gave a small smile to his friends for being so caring of him. "I'll meet you guys here tomorrow so we can go to the festival." "Alright, we'll see you tomorrow Sonic." Tails said, and with that everyone left.
-
Once everyone was gone, Sonic was sitting on the couch looking at an old picture of him, Sonia, and Manic at an earlier summertime festival. Then he thinks back to what his mother told him after he defeated Dark Manic.

Flashback

"I know that wasn't an easy choice Sonic, but you did what you thought was right for everyone." Aleena told her oldest son. Sonic still looked sad after losing his brother. "I couldn't let Dark Manic loose with all that power. But I still feel terrible for letting it happen to him in the first place." He said with his ears drooping in sadness. Aleena put a hand on his shoulder "There's something I need to show. Come on." And she led him inside.

Once they were home, Aleena talked to Sonic while she put the chaos emeralds away. "Sonic, while you may have stopped Dark Manic for now, it may not be the last we see him." He looked up at her puzzled. "What do you mean?" "After years, all that power that's keeping him in the moon will wear off and he'll return." She explained. Sonic was surprised and concern hearing this. "You have to be prepared for when he returns. He may come back stronger than before and come for you." Then his face turned serious. "Don't worry mom, I'll be ready when he comes back."

End of Flashback

Back in present time, Sonic looked at the picture in concern that he might return soon. "Just hope you don't cause any trouble tomorrow."