Chapter Four

So, I've decided to dedicate this to Muna2050.

Why? Because she's a sweetheart. I wasn't happy with my writing and she motivated me, I adore her for that. Please bear with me as I am editing majorly before continuing writing.

So for Muna, thankyou for inspiring me.

-CB

------------------------------

I woke with a gasp, clawing at my sheets in a rage of panic.

It took a few moments to adjust to my surroundings. The streetlight streamed in through the crack in my curtains and the clock beside my bed blinked 4.37am.

I allowed myself to breath and ran my fingers through my hair, sitting up in my bed.

I could feel the sweat sticking to me as I threw off the sheets, the crisp morning air bringing goosebumps to my skin.

With a shiver I rolled out of bed and went in search of my running gear.

I needed air in my lungs, I needed to get away if only for a little while and Running was the perfect escape.

In less than five minutes I was out the door. I didn't have a route in mind so I just jogged slowly, enjoying the sounds that came with early mornings.

When I hit the walking track i lengthened my stride and took off.

My heart began to race as I soared through past the trees, leaping over a few smaller ones that had fallen.

I took slow, deliberate breathes in a bid not to get puffed and pushed myself a little harder. My knees were starting to tremble as I made it through the clearing into the field.

Kicking off harder from my back foot, I was sprinting now. But I felt it.

I finally felt free, and alive. I continued on like that until I was halfway up the field.

Slowing, my knees trembled and gave way. I collapsed into the damp grass with a grin.

I stayed like that until my breathing evened out, finally rolling into my back and looking up at the remaining stars that would soon be taken by the sun.

"I wish you were here," I whispered to them.

I set out every morning to run a different route, but more often than not I'd wind up in the flower fields whispering sweet nothings to the stars.

I don't know if I truly believed in an afterlife, but Jake was always a true believer that the brightest stars were the ones you loved and lost, still finding a way to bring light to your life.

I spoke to him about everything, I told him Laikyn was back and how I'd been looking into a few classes at Blackstone University, Before enrolling back full time.

The sun had slowly crept over the mountains by the time I had finished, only a few stray stars lingered in the sky.

I smiled up at them and slowly stood.

"I miss you Jake," I said softly.

"Every single day."

With my last words, I pushed myself onto my feet, stretching slowly and started the long run back home.

--------------------------------

I went straight to the shower upon arriving home to scrub the now cold sweat from my body.

The hot water cascaded down me, as I massaged my scalp.

Ten minutes later I was showered, hair dried and standing in front of my closet wrapped in a towel deciding what to wear.

Today was one of those very rare days where I had a day off from The Central and there was no way in hell I was going to waste it.

The sun was now shining through the windows which was a rare thing for the Hunter Valley, which meant I had to make the most of it.

I pulled on a pair of jeans, slightly torn in the knee from the time Jake had tackled me playing touch football one christmas.

I smiled at the memory and reached for an oversized grey sweater. Even with the sun shining it wasn't hot and it was a cosy outfit for a lot of walking.

I grabbed my Canon from the white gloss dresser and threw the strap over my neck.

My long hair pulled on the strap causing me to wince in pain and jerk it out.

I twisted my hair into a messy bun and threw a hair-tye around it to hold it in place.

I didn't bother with make-up. Ever since Jake died I never felt the dire need to impress anyone so I just didn't use it.

While it gravely disappointed my mother that I was 'letting myself go,' I knew without it I wasn't considered to be ugly. I had natural white blonde hair and light blue eyes, in the right light they looked a fierce almost grey. My cheeks were lined with a sprinkle of light freckles and my body was toned well thanks to my daily intense running.

I was comfortable in my own skin and that's all I needed.

I strode into the kitchen a few minutes later where my mother was sitting at the breakfast bar deep in conversation with someone in the phone.

"No, that's not what I said."

"No, Gregory...."

I rolled my eyes at my fathers name and grabbed a juice box from the now fully stocked fridge, sending a slight wave in my mothers direction.

"Just hold on a minute, Greg."

She placed her iPhone on the counter and turned her attention towards me.

"You feeling any better honey?" She asked sincerely, approaching me.

I could tell she was worried, everyone was always worried about me, yet I was fine.

"Fine mum," i reassured her with a smile.

"Maybe I need to cut my hours at The Central a little, the doctor said it was exhaustion."

Mum nodded with a little sadness in her eyes.

"I agree honey and I know seeing Laikyn would have brought back so many memories of-"

"I'm FINE mum," I cut her off sternly.

She looked a little taken aback with the bluntness of my voice, but nodded in response.

"Of course darling," she said softly, " I better get back to your father, enjoy your day."

I grinned at her, then gave her a quick hug to relieve the tension between us. Turning, I walked towards the front door, grabbing my house keys and wallet on the way.

With a skip in my step I just walked whatever direction my legs took me, stopping to take photos at whatever caught my eye.

There were people and animals, bubbles and flowers.

So many beautiful things in the world that people never actually had the time to appreciate.

A teenage boy, a few years younger than myself barrelled past me with a girl thrown across his shoulder. She was shrieking and laughing, while pounding on his back to be let down.

I lifted my camera to look at them threw the lens.

It was perfect, a moment of pure and innocent love that to anyone else would seem dismal.

But to me it was so much more, it was a happy moment in time they could never get back.

With a click of my finger the shutter went off, capturing that point in time forever.

Because sometimes.... that's all we have.