Chapter 4: The Assignment

This will be Vic the driver!!! It's Kanye West!!! Look at the side pls....

On with the story!!! 

*******************************************

Chapter 4: The Assignment

"No, certainly not. I just wondered, the company hasn't planted a hide out there, did they?" I asked. It's true. They haven't placed a hide out ever in that area, but almost all over the country, they have it.

"No, not yet. That's why we are going to send you to be the first one to try the hide out in the area. We already bought and scouted the place. It should be perfect." She said excitedly.

"With all due respect, ma'am, but why me? Can't you just send a more experienced spy to stay there?" I pleaded. I normally go along with assignments because I already learned about the surroundings from an experienced spy's narrative report but since this is a new place, I can't read it because I will be the first to test it. And I hate being unprepared.

"No we can't because last time I sent an experienced spy, he ended up injured with two broken legs." She said sternly.

" Well, it isn't my fault the guy's clumsy!" I exclaimed.

"It was because he was set up and caught in a trap! Because of his being experienced, suspects remember his face and he got hurt. It would be harmless if I send a teen. You will be blending with the background. And besides, No one will expect you because you haven't gone into a lot of missions that the others have. No one will suspect a teen to be a spy. It's the perfect plan!" She said, quite pleased with herself that she was able to come up with such a brilliant idea.

"But-" I continue pleading.

"No buts, Ms. Rosenwood. Should you ignore this mission, you'll be fired." She said sternly, looking at me with a hard stare.

"Fine. I'll just set the place up then leave after a week." That's what I thought but...

"I'm not yet finish giving you the mission. You have a case there to be solved." She continued, ignoring my disbelieving look.

"What?! I'm supposed to go to an unknown area and capture a guy who probably memorized the town already?" I asked with a hint of hysteria in my voice.

"Indeed, you will. I know you can do it, that's why I assigned it to you." She said surely.

"If you don't you'll be fired." She said casually as if it was just a greeting. I can't believe she threatened me! I always look up to her but I think I would change my role model from now on. I mean, come on! I will NEVER put my career on the line! And that's why she probably threatened me with it. That's hitting below the belt! I should have some freedom here to refuse an assignment! But looks like it was deprived from me.

"Fine." I grumbled. I want to make things clear: I only agreed because I thought about mom and dad. I want to make them proud. I want to let them see that they never wasted their time in training me. I touched my diamond necklace and grumbled the word out again.

"I'll do it."

"That's better. Whew! I thought we have to force you to do it! Thankgoodness you didn't make it so hard, because you're really the only one who has to do it.. I'll definitely raise your pay for being so obedient. You're going on the right track, keep it up." She smiled cheerfully as if she won a gazillion dollars.

"And can I have a bigger allowance once I get there?" I asked happily.

"Don't push it." She replied, back with her stern self.

"The main case is that some group is stealing artifacts and paintings around the country for some reasons we don't know. We bet that their next target is California's museums. The curators concerned are going nuts finding their precious exhibits. We don't know what kind of people are behind these stealing and your job is to find out. Everytime they steal, they leave a clue. How proud! That's why we think it's in California. That's how stealthy they are. They even robbed New York's museums! " She said hotly, rising from her chair a bit.