Chapter Fifteen

Ravenheart watched the nursery. It was Newleaf now and Minnowtail's kits were coming. The clan watched worryingly because she had been kitting since daw and now it was dusk. Then a tired Willowshine came our carrying out a little limp body. She placed it in the middle of the clearing. Then she looked up. "Minnowtail has kitted two healthy she kits, sadly this little tom didn't make it,"
      Mothwing soon exited the nursery. She looked over sadly at the little tom and then went to her den.
     "I'll burry him," Beetlewhisker volunteered softly and the clan watched softly as the tom carried the kit out of camp.
     Ravenheart was forst to stand and pad softly over to the nursery. Slowly she stepped inside. She saw Minnowtail curled in the corner of the den. One look at the queen and Ravenheart knew that she was grieving the tom kit's death.
      "I'm sorry" Ravenheart murmured and pressed her nose into the she cat's fur as comfort. "Did you name him?"
    "His name was Riverkit, I name that so even in Starclan he remembers where he was born," She then licked her teo kits at her belly. "This is one is named Tumblekit, after my dead brother," she rested her tail on a pale gray tabby she kit, her eyes were full of pain. "He died when we were kits. I...I dared him to drink some two leg substance and he and a few of ojr clanmates paid the price," she rested her tail on the dark gray daped she kit,"and this one is named Stormkit as her fur reminds me of a storm."
      Ravenheart nodded," Those are great names."
     Minnowtail gave a small smile. "Thank you, I do wish that Riverkit could have lived."
       " The whole clan wishes with you, but Starclan decided that they wanted him more than we did,"

.................

       Ravenheart watched the one moon old kits play. They were stalking clan mates. Their newest prey was Jayclaw. He sat sunning himself in the sun, eyes closed.
     Tumblekit crept up first with ber sister close behind. They paused then they jumped. The startled tom jumped to bis paws with the kits hanging from his fur. He quickly noticed the kits and gave a small amused purr.
     Minnowtail then came outside. "Tumblekit! Stormkit! Time for your nap." She then prosided to unlatch her kits from Jayclaw and nudge them into the nursery.
       Jayclaw noticed Ravenheart watching him. "Thanks for the help," he joked.
     "I didn't see anything you needed help with," She purred. He touched noses with her.
      "Well they woke me in time for my patrol. So I'll see you later this evening?" He meowed looking back at her as he walked away.
      "Of course, where else would I be?"
.........................

       Ravenheart left the Medicine cat den, her mind running fast. She looked around. Jayclaw hadn't returned from his hunting patrol. She looked over to where Tumblekit and Stormkit played. Now three moons old they were great at getting into trouble. She weny over to them.
       "What are you two playing?" She asked.
      "I'm a hunter and Tumblekit is a mouse!" Stormkit exclaimed. "I have to find her!"
      "Well its been raining lately, maybe there are some paw ptints in the mud?" Ravenheart suggested.
       Stormkit glanced over at Ravenheart excitedly and started to scan the mud for prints.
      Ravenheart walked away as she heard a returning patrol. Jayclaw came into camp carrying two trout and a pike. He dropped them off at the fresh kill pile. He glanced around. Ravenheart beckoned him over with her tail.
      He came over. "You need something?" He asked.
      "Come for a walk with me?" She returned the question.
       "I guess. Though I did just return from a patrol!"
         Ravenheart lead her mate out of camp and down river to the sandy lake beach. She settled in some dry sand. Jayclaw settled down next to her.
     "So what do You need to talk about?" He asked, a hint of worry in his meow.
      Ravenheart looked up into his deep blue eyes. "I'm expecting kits,"