Chapter Twenty Six

Eagleshade watched his kits play in the clearing. Breezepelt sat next to him. "At the last gathering, I noticed something,"
     Eagleshade turned toward his deputy," and that is?"
       "We need more kits to make into apprentices. Your sister Silverfrost seems to have gained some weight."
      Eagleshade eyes brightened. "I didn't even see her at the gathering, how long until her kits are born to you think?"
       "I would guess a quarter moon," Grassheart meowed joining the two toms. "And I'm noft surprised you didn't see her. Thunderclan seemed to be blocking you from seeing her. Something tells me you're going to need to think of something to keep those kits. I can easily guess that as soon as they are born, you won't be able to get them easily."
      Eagleshade looked thoughtfully at the trees. Then a small smile broke on his face. "I know how to get those kits,"

...............

      Silverfrost layed in the nursery asleep. A loud yowl alerted the clan to an intruder. Yowls quuckly broke out inside the camp. Silverfrost backed away from the entrance to the nursery but she could just see out. Her clan was fighting against cats in the clearing. A rustling alerted her to a cat entering the nursery. Silverfrost hissed at the cat. Two cats followed the first in.
      Silverfrost recognized Eagleshade. She backed as far as she could. "What do you want?" She whimpered.
     He gave her a smile. "You of course!" He grabbed her scruff. She struggled but the other two cats quickly wrapped her legs with some vines. Eagleshade then carried Silverfrost out of the camp. Breezepelt gave a yowl of retreat.
      Eagleshade quickly quickened his pace. It wouldn't take long for them to realize that a queen was missing.
............

      Silverfrost glared at every cat that past her. She had been pit in a den of sharp bramble. The den was always guarded by two guards.
     Silverfrost had been well fed since she arrived. She had been given fresh bedding almost every day.
     She felt a sharp pain. No! You can't come yet! You need to wait! But the kits weren't waiting. She tried to hide her pain but eventually she gave a small whimper of pain. One of the guards looked back. Silverfrost tried to look normal but she cat seemed to guess what was going on. "The kits are coming!" The she cat yowled.
.......

     Silverfroat stared at her belly. Two kits wiggled at her belly. She watched as Eagleshade entered the den. He looked at the kits. One was light brown tabby tom and the other a black tom.
      Eagleshade seemed to glare at the black tom. Finally he looked up. "I'm here to make a deal with you. I will allow you to return home with one of the kits. The other must be left behind."
      "You cruel beast! You would separate littermates?"
      "Well it's that or both stay here." He replied calmly.
     Silverfrost stared down at the two kits, pain welling up in her. "Fine," she meowed blankly.
     Eagleshade reached sown and picked up the light brown tabby. Silverfrost stood to her weak paws and picked up the black tom. She slowly left the camp, her tail dragging in the dirt.