THE CONQUEROR'S TEST

"Slave, your test is today. You have but the hour to prepare." He said and set down something heavy and hollow. It sounded like a helmet but it wasn't heavy enough to be a Lawbringer's. "I understand my Lord." Came my response as I pushed the covers off my body then opening my eyes. It was indeed my training Conqueror helm.

"Come. Your daily morning exercise is to take place now." His voice was soft, like he's about to lose something. "Is something wrong Lord Acova?" I tested saying his name, he should scold me for this. "Nothing is wrong. Let us begin our run." Lord Acova got up from his kneeling position beside my cot, took a look around the room, and stepped out.

I followed suit shortly after getting the armor on as quickly as I could. Stepping out of the room, I came to the surprise that was Lord Acova at the moment. He waited, and he never waits...

Instead of pushing the subject I nodded to him for us to get going. Huh. I'm the one having to get the routine started now.

This is not the usual.

As we ran down the hallways I noticed the slower than usual pace. I wish I could ask Lord Acova what was wrong but that may anger him. I will leave it alone until after the test.

*Thirty Minutes Later*

He slowed to a stop before taking a seat. He then motioned for me to sit. I did as he wanted and sat, chest still heaving from the heat and heavy armor. "I have more to tell you on the Conqueror's Test." My head swiveled to his.

"When you test your skills... you will face daring challenges. You will not like the things they will make you endure. It is not only a test of the body but of the mind and the willingness to follow orders." He took a deep breath and waited a moment before continuing.

"If you disobey a single order you will fail by default. No exceptions. Not even royalty will be aloud to pass. No one may interfere, on penalty of death. If you fail at any point, you are put to death. Do you understand me?" "Yes my lord."

"Good, let us make haste for the castle grounds once more. We must acquire your weapons and armor before the test." We started our run with much more vigor than before. The pace was quick and nimble. I am more than sure I have what it takes to pass this test.

*Thirty Minutes Later*

"Make me proud slave." Lord Acova gave me a wet slap on the arm that sent the sweat flying off me. "I plan to my Lord." I handed over my response and gave a curt nod.

We're in a large courtyard with many people gathered around on the walls. Wooden stands have been erected on the very sides of the makeshift arena. A metal gate that blocked off a dark corridor sat on the right of the arena where no benches were constructed. Lords from different houses sat upon the benches while peasants along with other low hierarchy ranking members being forced to stand atop the walls to see.

From the wall a man walked up to the very edge and the men spread apart to give him room. Lord Acova nodded in his direction and I followed. We are on the very end of the bench as for me to have easy access out into the arena.

The man that people spread for seemed to clear his throat when I laid my eyes on him. "SILENCE!" He boomed over the courtyard. Everyone stopped their chatter and looked up to him. "Today, we hold the CONQUEROR'S TEST!" He tossed his arms into the air in enthusiasm and the crowd roared in approval. The wide grin on his face took resistance to create. How pity.

He began his speech again and the crowd died down. "There are but a few simple rules! No one, under any circumstance, is to interfere! The penalty for doing so is public execution! Next, the aspiring Conquerors are to follow every instruction presented to them! If these instructions are not followed the suspect in question will be put to death! Finally! As we have a rare occasion, there will only be one Conqueror who will become a knight of our great and mighty kingdom! In the first test of ability, the squires will be to eliminate a large group of enemies! Then! After a sufficient number of minions have been defeated, the two squires will duel to the death! Leading to a public execution in front of this very crowd!"