Chapter 10

Abby's POV

"That's my sister," I say to Ryder.

"But I thought you only had three brothers," Rosie says.

"It's complicated," I say, turning to my sister. "What are you doing here, Samantha?"

"I came back to see you all," she says, looking around at all of us and finally landing on my twins. "I didn't know Mom had more children."

"Actually, these are mine and they're three," I say, looking up at her with heated eyes.

"So that means you had them at eighteen? You are too young to be having kids at that age. Who's the father? Some deadbeat living on the corner? Because there's no way you'd get a decent guy to knock you up at a young age. You also probably dropped out of High-School and never finished college. I bet Mom and Dad are so disappointed in you," she says with a condescending tone and I feel my body starting to twitch, a bad sign.

"You're wrong, Samantha," Shane says, standing up. "The father of her twins is Brandon, the guy you used to babysit when you were a teenager. Also, she did finish college, even graduating before she was supposed to. So you better back off."

"She's a disappointment to this family," Samantha spits.

"Why do you care?" I ask, standing from my seat. "You left this family the day you turned twenty, so why the h e double hockey sticks should you care now?"

"I came to try and fix things but clearly YOU intend to make it worse."

"Me? I made it worse? You're the one coming over here and shooting your mouth off like you did eight years ago, I guess things never change." I grab Ryder and Rosie and start walking towards the door. "I'll tell Mom and Dad you're here. I'm sure they'd be delighted to see you."

I'm about to leave when she says, "Then tell them I'll be over later tonight."

I storm out to the car and I know Brandon is right behind me. I buckle the kids into their car seats and sit in the front passenger seat, waiting for everyone else to exit. They finally show up and Brandon drives us back to my parents' house, my fingers impatiently tapping on the window as he drives. As soon as we pull into the driveway, I unbuckle and race up the front steps and I find my parents in the living room watching TV.

"Abby, what's wrong?" Mom asks, flipping off the set.

"Samantha," I spit, taking a seat next to her.

"Oh my, what happened?" Her arms wrap around me and I lean into her comforting embrace, paying little attention to the rest of the gang piling into the house.

"She asked if the twins were yours and then she accused me of having them with a deadbeat. She said something else but the part that really got to me was that she said," I take a shaky breath to compose myself, "She s said t that you and d dad are disappointed in me."

A sob escapes me and my mom's arms tighten around me and I feel my dad wrap his arms around me from behind, each parent rubbing my back. Samantha's words got to me because I feel like they are disappointed in me even though they've told me a million times, I'm being serious I counted, that they aren't. I calm down a few minutes later and I move out of their grip, wiping my eyes and scanning the living room. Alec, Brody, and Marissa have joined us and I notice the twins are missing and I vaguely remember Brandon saying he was putting them to bed during my cry episode.

"Sweetheart, we aren't disappointed in you at all. Even with the twins, you still finished college and had a nice job, house, and you were able to provide for your family. If anything, we're proud of the beautiful, independent, and intelligent woman you've become," Dad says and I smile, kissing each parent on the cheek.

"She said she's coming over tonight," Shane says and my parents nod.

Brandon's POV

I watch my girl with her parents and thoughts of what happened in the diner today flash in my mind. Samantha had no right to talk to Abby the way she did, especially since she walked out on the family with no explanation and cutting all contact with them.

The doorbell rings, breaking me from my thoughts, and I see Brody get up and answer it. He walks in a minute later with Samantha behind him, her facial expression changing from happy to disgusted when she sees Abby sitting between their parents.

"Mother, Father, why is she here?" Samantha asks, faking an innocent smile.

"She is our daughter, Samantha. She has the right to be here and she is currently staying with us while her living situation is being arranged," Thalia says, narrowing her eyes at her eldest child.

"Did she get kicked out of another homeless shelter?" Sam spits, narrowing her eyes at her sister.

"Samantha, respect your siblings. No, she has not nor has she ever lived in a homeless shelter. She's staying here while she's waiting to go back to Utah and pack her things," Robert says, his voice neutral.

"Why was she in Utah anyways?" Samantha asks, directing her eyes towards Abby.

"That's really none of your concern," Abby replies, matching her sister's glare with an icy stare.

"What are you doing here, Samantha?" Thalia asks, her tone tired.

"I came because I wanted to fix things with this family, but if you're all going to support a little girl having babies at eighteen then I don't know why I came back." Samantha turns on her heel and walks out, slamming the door behind her.

"I'm sorry," Abby says, addressing her parents and I see the tears shining in her eyes. "I know how much the two of you missed her."

"It's not your fault," Thalia says, enveloping her petite daughter in her embrace. "That is not the Samantha we raised. When she finally realizes what she has done and apologizes, we will try and fix things. But don't for a second think this is your fault."

Abby nods and I see her stifling a yawn with her hand. I stand from my spot between Alec and Ryan and scoop my girl into my arms, giving her parents a tired smile before taking her upstairs to her room. I lie her on the bed and she curls into the sheets, her eyes closing. I strip down to my boxers and climb in beside her, letting my tense muscles relax.

"Brandon," she murmurs, curling closer to me.

"I'm right here," I soothe, rubbing her back.

"I'm sorry," she murmurs, voice sleepy.

"Sorry for what?" I look down at her but she's already asleep.

**************************************************

Hey guys, what did you think? Thoughts on Samantha? Don't forget to vote and comment.

Lots of Love

Abby