Chapter 2

FOUR YEARS LATER

"Mama, I'm hungry," I hear as I'm doing the dishes.

I turn and see my three-year-old, Ryder, standing next to me with his Batman pajamas on. His brown hair is messy and his green eyes are filled with tiredness. I smile down at him and lift him into my arms, kissing his head before I set him on the counter next to me.

After that fateful day four years ago, I told my parents and three older brothers what happened. They were upset at first, obviously, but they helped me move out to a little town in Utah. I kept in contact with my family, but sadly I had to cut contact with all my friends, including Kacey.

The youngest of my three brothers, Shane, moved down with me until I got settled in. I found out I was pregnant with twins and I was so happy when I realized it was one boy and one girl. They were born in late evening on June 10, and I couldn't have been happier. I named them Ryder Alexander and Rosetta Avery. I had come up with those names late one night when I couldn't sleep and when I picture my two joys, I can see their names fit them perfectly.

"Where's Rosie?" I ask, finally finishing the dishes and turning to Ryder.

"She's sleeping," he replies before saying, "I'm hungry mama."

I laugh, "I know you are baby. What do you want to eat for breakfast?"

"French fries!" he yells, throwing his hands up.

"Not for breakfast, how about french toast instead?"

"With syrup and powdered sugar?"

"Yes."

He nods and I get to work making breakfast for the three of us. I had finished college in two years, with me having to put the kids in day care, and I work as a secretary at the local hospital while my friends take turns watching the twins. Luckily, today is a weekend day and I only work weekdays.

I finish making breakfast and I set Ryder on the floor and watch as he runs over to his chair. I smile again as I set the french toast and bacon on the table, hearing little footsteps approach the kitchen from the hallway. I turn around and see Rosie walking towards me, her black braid in messy disarray and her tiny hands rubbing her brown eyes. I laugh when I see her little Cinderella blanket trailing behind her.

"Why do you have your blanket?" I ask, scooping her up and kissing her forehead.

"I got cold," she says, "Oooooh bacon!"

Her hands reach for the bacon and I set her on her chair, helping the kids get their food and cutting it up. Eventually I get my own food and I sit down and enjoy breakfast with the kids. After breakfast I clean up while the kids watch Moana in the living room. After I finish cleaning up my phone rings with a video call from Brody, my middle brother.

"Hey dork," I say, answering the phone.

"Hey dork," he replies, "Where are my two potatoes?"

"They are my potatoes and they're in the living room watching Moana. What's up? Where's Ana and Marissa?" I ask, referring to his wife and daughter.

"Ana took Marissa out to the water park. It's too hot for Xavior to go out today so we're chilling right now. He's currently taking a nap and I am trying to figure out how to get breast milk out of my hair."

I snort, "You're dumb."

"Mama, is that Uncle Brody?" ryder asks, sneaking up behind me.

"Hi, little potato!" Brody calls.

"Hi, Uncle Brody!" Rosie calls, running up to me and jumping on my hip.

"Hey guys, I'll talk to you in a second, okay? I need to talk to your mom," Brody says and the kids run back into the living room.

"What's up?"

"You have been summoned back home for the wedding of Shane and Amber. Amber has requested your presence as the maid of honor and Rosetta as the flower girl. Shane has also requested Ryder's presence as the ring bearer."

"I can't go home, I don't want to see him."

"I figured you'd say that," he says just as the doorbell rings.

"I swear," I say, going to the door and seeing my oldest brother Alec through the peephole.

"Abby, let me in. I'm tired and I feel like a bear is going to eat me," he whines and I sigh as I unlock the door.

"My dearest Alec, it feels like only hours since I last saw you," Brody comments and I stick my tongue out at him.

"Talk to you later Brode," I say before hanging up.

"Uncle Alec!" the twins chorus, jumping into my brother's arms.

"Hey, potatoes," he says, giving them each a kiss on the forehead before setting them back down.

"We're watching Moana! Come on!" Rosie says, grabbing Alec's hand and leading him to the living room.

"I'm not going back," I say to Alec as the kids sit on the floor in front of us. "It's not like I'm not happy for Shane, it's about time him and Am got married, but I don't want to run into him."

"I know, but Amber wants you there and you know it'll break her heart if you're not there. Just come home please, I promise I'll try and keep Brandon away from you."

"Fine," I grumble, going upstairs and packing a suitcase for each kid and myself.

"I have the tickets booked for six," Alec says as I head downstairs.

"Fine," I say, scooping Rosie up.

"Where are we going?" she asks, playing with a strand of my hair.

"We're going to see grandma, grandpa, Uncles Shane and Brody, Aunt Ana and Amber, and cousins Xavior and Marissa," I say, setting Rosie down.

"And Daddy?" Ryder asks and I cringe.

THEY know who their dad is because I always tell them stories about us. They at least need to know who their dad is and what he looks like, I had showed them a couple pictures of Brandon and I that I had taken with me. Ryder had commented that he looks exactly like his dad and I agreed with him, knowing Rosetta looks exactly like me.

"Sis, we have to leave now," Alec says, grabbing our suitcases.

I nod and getting to the airport and going through security seems like a blur. We board the plane and it seems like seconds before we're touching down in our small town in Oregon. We exit the plane and in the distance I can make out my brothers and parents.

"You ready?" Alec asks, touching my shoulder.

"Let's do this," I reply, walking towards everybody.