Chapter 12

It wasn't long before I had to ask Denise where he was. I was panicking myself and I was convinced that if someone told me what had happened, I would feel a lot better and the weight would be lifted from my shoulders.

I have to admit, a part of me was sure her reply would be "I don't know, dear. I'm sure he'll be home soon." But with those newly sad eyes and disappearing smile, I didn't think there would be any good news today.

"Denise, where is Carlos?" I asked, without sounding too rude.
"Now, sweetie, you shouldn't joke about things like that." Was her reply. Joke? Excuse me? I thought. I just stood staring at her with my mouth open, confused as to what she meant by joke. She stared at me for a second, then gave me a look as if to ask "you really don't know do you!?"

She lead me over to the table and held both of my hands tight. Her fingers were cold, but smooth from washing up earlier. "Honey, Carlos was in an accident this afternoon."
I stood up immediately. Had no one thought to tell me!? "Now, hear me out." She said soothingly. I cautiously sat back down and place my hands back in to her grasp.

"He is going to be in hospital over night but he should be back by tomorrow afternoon. He was looking for you earlier, he said he saw you passed out on the floor, but when he went to help you, he was knocked out by something which he couldn't recall. The next thing he knew, he was in hospital."

Of course he was looking for me. It's always my fault that someone's hurt. I'm dangerous, I just know it. I though, I threw my chair to the floor and marched upstairs, holding back the tears until I got to my room. The pain I was feeling was chronic. It felt like I had been stabbed in the heart, I was going crazy. I could feel my sanity slowly slipping away, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.