Chapter 17

Lexa 

When I returned from my meeting, Clarke was sitting on the floor on a blanket, with Seren sitting on her back in front of Clarke. I smiled. I had had a long day, and I had been looking forward to seeing my girls. 

Clarke looked up when she saw me. 

"Hey." She smiled. 

I closed the door behind me and sat next to Clarke. 

"How was your day?" She asked, gripping onto Seren's hands. 

I shrugged. "Fine. It's taking longer than expected to plan out this irrigation system, even with Bellamy and Raven's help." 

Clarke's smile fell. "Is that going to be a problem?"

"No, not for now." 

Clarke turned away for a moment, lost in thought. 

"What if you had some extra help?" 

I looked at her in confusion. Wasn't Raven the best person we could possibly have on this? 

"I suppose that would speed up the process, but...who?"

"Monty and Jasper. They were from Farm Station." Clarke said with a cheeky smile. "Some of our engineers maybe, other's from Farm Station." 

I paused. Help would be greatly appreciated, but I couldn't forget about my time in Arkadia. Arkadians didn't like me or my people, so how could they possibly want to help my people survive? Less of my people meant more land, food and just about everything for Arkadians.

"Why would your people want to help mine?" I asked. 

Clarke hesitated, staring down at Seren to keep her eyes off of me. 

"Because why wouldn't they? It wasn't your people's fault that we were betrayed at the mountain." She responded. 

I felt a jab in my heart at the comment, as unintentional as it was. 

Clarke sighed. "I'm sorry. But you know what I mean."

I nodded. I knew all too well. 

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask." I said. "But we don't have much to give you—nothing you couldn't easily get yourself."

Clarke shrugged. "I think we could trade for clothes and meat. My people are lousy at sewing and almost as bad at hunting."

I smiled. She was right. Arkadians were loud—they were used to straight metal paths with nothing blocking their way. They were used to not having to be quiet. 

I nodded. "Thank you." I bowed my head to stare at the baby. 

Clarke's eyes came to me. She gripped onto my hand, keeping one on Seren. 

"Of course." She murmured. "Your people are mine and mine are yours." 

No matter how many times she said it, it wouldn't feel right. 

We both looked back down at Seren. She was staring up at us, watching her mothers. I smiled, thinking of how one day that unfocused gaze would become sharp and determined. The hands that gripped onto Clarke's with tender weakness would be strong and capable of fighting and conquering a man twice her size. The small squeaks that she uttered would be powerful enough to echo across valleys and command armies. My heart swelled with pride and love as I thought of her creating a legacy to rival my own, while leading her people with compassion and honesty. 

Clarke stood, grabbing a bottle of goat's milk off the table. She handed it to me and I took it from her cautiously. I wasn't sure how exactly to do this. I lifted Seren off the blanket gently holding her against my chest. I offered her the bottle and she latched onto it gratefully, placing her hand on the side. A small laugh escaped my lips as she closed her eyes.