Chapter 5

Lexa

I couldn't sleep. Normally, I would've gotten up and wander around the tower for a while until I could control my thoughts and go back to bed, or until it was too late to go back and the sun rose. But now, with Clarke, I didn't want to worry her. So I sat wide-eyed in bed for hours. Eventually, I got up. It would still be a while until the sun rose, but it wasn't the middle of the night.

As I was quietly getting dressed, as to not disturb Clarke, I noticed the sheet hanging on the right wall of the room. Clarke had told me last night that she asked Thrandr to see if there could be some changes made to the wall, as it didn't seem structurally sound. She reasoned that the sheet was a safety precaution.

I walked to the natblidas' room first. They groaned and complained as I shook them awake. Keene, Joplin, Talie and Alcoa remembered that it was my birthday and were polite. They woke promptly and got ready like good natblidas. The other children, however, were not so kind. It took ten minutes of cover pulling and enticing them to get them out of bed. Even then they groggily sat at the end of their beds and refused to get ready.

"Is that any way to greet your Heda in the morning?" I asked Easley. She yawned and looked at me lazily. I smiled. "Clarke is throwing a small party for me later and I'd like everyone to be on their best behaviors. If not for me, than for her."

"If we say yes, can we go back to bed?" Aden begged.

I shook my head. "No. You're training with Indra and Lincoln and then you're helping Clarke with whatever else she needs for the party."

Aden and Easley glanced at each other nervously. They seemed to be having their own conversation with their eyes. I smirked. Clarke and I did that.

"Go on." I said. "Indra and Lincoln are leaving in twenty minutes and Indra will not show mercy if she sees that you're not ready."

Once I made sure that the lazier ones were getting ready, I made my way to Luna's room. I made the mistake of not knocking and walked in on Thrandr on top of Luna yet again. I stopped in my tracks and shielded my eyes with my hand as they struggled to compose themselves.

"I understand that I did not announce my presence before entering....," I muttered. "But the Fleim Kepa is also bedding my sister, which is also inappropriate."

"My apologies, Heda." Thrandr said. He slid on his pants and slipped past me. Luna sat up with her sheet pressed to her chest with a euphoric smile plastered on her face. It disgusted me.

"Is this going to happen every day?" I demanded.

She shrugged. "You tell me, sister."

I rolled my eyes. "Clarke is planning a party for me. I expect you to attend and be on your best behavior."

"Party?" She questioned.

I swallowed. She had forgotten my birthday, but I suppose I shouldn't have expected her to. It had been ten years since we were really sisters.

Her eyes widened. "Your birthday!"

I allowed myself to smile.

"So what does that make me...I don't keep track." She said, staring up at the ceiling and trying to work it out in her head.

"Twenty two." I said with amusement.

"Wow." She said. "I'm old."

"Well, you're not." I said. "But even so...I think that's good thing."

She smiled. "Yeah. I suppose." She sat up and on the edge of the bed. "How is the natblida?"

My smile faltered. "I haven't seen her since yesterday afternoon."