First Promise

I'm not assignning anyone the parts of Evola and Dertah as in my eyes no one could portray them so I'll leave it up to you guys to imagine how they look like :P

***

EVOLA POV

The moon was high up in the sky and Dertah and I had been standing in front of the book shelf for more than ten minutes now, Mum told us to find a book for her to read to us but, unfortunately we ran out of books to read. Then I had a story in mind that I would love to listen to again, my hand went to reach for the book when I noticed it wasn’t there anymore and that, Dertah was holding it. I giggled quietly when he waved the book; every time when I want to grab something, eat, watch or drink something somehow Dertah has it with him already and I just need to share with him and vice versa, it’s kind of like we’re telepathic but either way we’re not. We just know each other too well.

He showed me the front cover to double check (just in case) and I smiled when I already knew that he knew he had it right, and he smiled back. To be honest we rarely speak with each other just because there was no need to; we both know each other well enough to know what each of us are thinking; I grabbed his hand and we both ran back upstairs to our bedroom where Mum was waiting.

Dertah passed the book to me and I passed it over to Mum, and when she saw the title of the book she chuckled lightly, “Evola, Dertah I just read this to you two days ago” she lightly wined but she knew that we still want to hear the story either way, as she sigh we watched her flick the pages across with her azure eyes; which she inherited from her father who was called Poseidon just like in the Greek Mythology, they were the most beautiful shade of blue you could ever find, it's one of a kind, me and Dertah also have her blue eyes. But we also have our father’s eyes, they’re evergreen; he inherited those from his father who was named, Zeus. Just like in the stories as well. So in other words we have Heterochromia meaning we have two colored eyes. If truth were told there isn’t much difference between us, Dertah and I, expect that I have chocolate auburn colored hair and he has sunshine blonde. And that was the only possible way to tell us apart, because most of the time people don’t hear our voices much. We don’t speak much to the teachers, just to Mum, Dad and our pet Husky: Lupen!

***

Let me tell you about my parents:

My Dad works as an architect at this big company out of town but he works from home so he doesn’t have to travel three hours just to go to work. He always designs such beautiful buildings on the paper and with his help the builders bring it to life! He also designed our home and Dertah and mine’s tree house too!

As I already said, he has evergreen eyes but there’s a scar over his left eye. He always said that he got it from a fight with a harpy but I'm thinking it was a Hellhound. A harpy would have went for the kill not for the eye… he’s really tall but not as tall as our doorway, he's just a couple of centimeters below it but he still has to duck down a bit. He has chocolate color hair and he’s good with animals! Just like Mum, Dertah and I. a lot of the other Mums swoon over him when they see him… but Mum and Dad are stuck like glue!

Mum, is the best Mum you could ever wish for! She’s kind, gentle, caring and confident but she also has a mean streak like us. When someone insults her she becomes sarcastic, strong-willed and has a witty attitude. A lot of the people in the neighborhood say that she's a Devil behind an Angel’s mask. And I think I can say the same about my Mum but it's the other Dads…

***

As Mum turned the page to the beginning we both snugged ourselves in our own beds and waited. Mum moved the chair between the beds and then she began, “Through the clouds and above the skies there stood Mount Olympus, homes to the Greek Gods and Goddesses,” she narrated, “And within those walls lived the King of Olympus who was Zeus, God of Sky and Thunder.”

In my mind I could picture a lighting bolt that flashed after the thunders, an eagle swooping down to the sea, scraping his claw at the waves creating little ripples along the way. My imagination stopped when I sensed someone nearby, when I open my eyes that I didn’t even know was close and saw unexpectedly my dad standing in the doorway. He smiled when he knew that we would have noticed him standing there.

Unknowingly I closed my eyes again, as if they were heavy and slipped away to a dream, of a story my Mum was telling, the story of Artemis and Apollo.