38 | video call

"kyungie," jongin whispered as minseok's car pulled into the driveway, "you didn't tell me that junmyeon lives in a fucking mansion."

"i didn't want you getting excited," kyungsoo replied sarcastically. he opened the car door and started to step out.

jongin grabbed kyungsoo's nearest hand, forcing the smaller to help pull him out of the car. "how come he's so rich?" jongin enquired, staring up at the enormous modern building.

"his parents are rich," kyungsoo answered with a shrug. "they basically pay for anything he wants. oh, and they put money into his account every week."

jongin's eyes were wide with awe. "i wish i was that rich," he mumbled.

kyungsoo gave him a dig in the ribs and rolled his eyes. "don't get carried away," he advised. "and don't steal anything."

jongin started to smirk then and wrapped a strong arm around kyungsoo's small shoulders. "i'm not a criminal, kyungie!" he said innocently.

"hey, jong-two," said jongdae, finally tearing his eyes away from minseok to look at the other two, "don't listen to kyungsoo. me and baekhyun, and chanyeol, we just take whatever we want. junmyeon doesn't notice."

kyungsoo glared at him. "shut up, jongdae," he muttered.

they approached the front doors to junmyeon's place and they opened, revealing a surprisingly domestic-looking junmyeon and yifan. jongdae nearly choked on his own saliva when yifan appeared behind junmyeon and wrapped his arms around his waist.

"happy new year, or whatever," said junmyeon. "come inside - i've had food prepared."

"happy new year," yifan echoed, throwing his most friendly smile at the visitors.

jongdae glanced at minseok. "distract yifan, will you?" he asked pleadingly. "i need to go grill junmyeon."

minseok just chuckled. "report back your findings," he said. "upstairs?"

jongdae slapped minseok's arm, but laughed and winked at him as he trailed after junmyeon to find out the precise nature of his and yifan's current relationship.

"do you have chicken?" jongin asked yifan as soon as he stepped through the front doors.

"uh... no?" said yifan, furrowing his brows in thought. "but we've got cheesecake?"

"okay, kyungie, let's go," said jongin, tugging kyungsoo towards the kitchen.

***

"shitshitshitshit," jongin rambled, several hours later after a light dinner had been served.

"what's going on?" kyungsoo mumbled sleepily, on one of junmyeon's couches, curled up almost in jongin's lap.

"sehun wants to video chat," jongin almost choked. "i mean, i asked him to video call but i didn't-- kyungie! what am i supposed to do?!"

"answer the call, dumbass," kyungsoo's muffled voice said from beneath the cushions.

jongin nervously answered the call request and sehun's face popped up on his screen. he hadn't seen his best friend in around two weeks, and after leaving him on not the best terms, it felt weird trying to talk to him again.

"hi, jongin," said sehun, staring at his phone screen.

"um, hi, uh, sehun," jongin replied, smiling anxiously.