17. Not His Sweetheart, but, Really!?

Start from the beginning

"Sure." Scarlett chuckled, but stopped the moment her complete sentence sunk in her brain, "Wait a moment, him?" She quizzed her right back.

"Yeah," she tried to sound casual but the frequency in her voice surely ditched her. One could clearly recognize the softness in her tone. Precisely, she just thought about 'him' there.

"Okay," Scarlett said, dragging out the word.
She giggled.

"We'll wait for you." She cheered and without waiting for her busy friend's response, Leah hung up.

Soon, Scarlett engaged herself on the papers in front of me. The task was finally done after what felt like forever. It was already dark outside and she needed to get back home. As she passed, Aaron's office room came into her view, reminding her about his absence. There was not a day where he missed office and work, and today, he even missed her calls. "Where has he been?" She mumbled worriedly again to herself as she clumsily fished out her phone to check if she had any missed calls from him and surprisingly, there were not.

Scarlett frowned when he did not answer her call. She couldn't believe Aaron missed informing her if he were to go anywhere and forgot about meetings that were scheduled for the day. She tried again but this time he disconnected it. For the time being, Scarlett tried again and now, it sounded as if switched off?

What was happening! Was he ignoring her? Scarlett thought as she found herself restless.

Scarlett remembered his weird behavior the other day when she'd asked him about the recent deal. Strange in the sense, conversing in an uninteresting manner and giving short replies. Scarlett has always known him to react warmly and affectionately otherwise.

Did he possibly find out about Dylan getting the firm papers from her? Immediately, her nerves aflutter thinking about it. However, Scarlett's mind considered the other way around. Because if that was the case, he would have discussed it. He would not have just disappeared. She refused to think he found out just yet.

"Possibly, he was busy dealing with something else." She answered her own questions as she tried to shoo away the irrational thoughts.

He doesn't love you. He loves your company.
Suddenly, Dylan's powerful words rang inside her head like an alarm.

Scarlett's eyes went wide thinking about that. Could it be the reason behind his urgency about their wedding? She cannot ignore the times when he'd expressed his love for her. He'd also mentioned his patience multiple times - that he could wait longer until she finds satisfaction and he'd only take the big step with her when she'd feel the time was right.

He did not persist as her mother does.

"You obviously forgot about how big of a player he was. He cannot love a single woman." That deadly voice belonging to the devil was back again in her mind bringing perplexity and indecision inside her system.

Scarlett frowned again thinking deeply. He indeed was into multiple women but that was a long time ago. We are all changed and different persons now.

Instantaneously, she shook her head realizing the fact that she was actually letting the devil's words affect her mind and made her question Aaron's pure feelings towards her. Immediately, remorse settled inside her. How could she even give that devil's baseless talk a thought? She cannot think negatively about Aaron. He is a changed man and has always been there throughout her bad times. To think that he's only after her wealth is wrong.