Chapter Four

As Aria and Marie neared the bottom of the staircase, the Dauphin looked up. His clouded blue eyes immediately brightened, lighting up with a near child-like joy. "Ah, Mademoiselle Aria," he cried. "How lovely it is to see your face." He extended his hand towards her, beaming.

    Suppressing a frown, Aria reluctantly let him take her hand and lead her down the last step. Once she was on the same level as him, he bent over her hand and gave it a lingering kiss.

    "Greetings, Monseigneur le Dauphin," she said, curtsying politely. She could not prevent the strange feeling of apprehension that crept through her.

    The Dauphin grinned, and then turned to Marie. "It is a pleasure to see you again, Mademoiselle de Saint-Just," he added.

    Marie curtsied in turn. "Merci, Your Royal Highness."

    At that moment, a maid entered the room, curtsying deeply. "Dinner is served."

    "Thank you, Isabelle." Aria smiled warmly at the woman. The maid had been fast friends with Aria's mother, and when she had died Madame Rousseau had taken up the role of raising Aria. Having a daughter of her own, the woman exuded a kind of motherly love for Aria.

    The Dauphin gripped Aria's arm in his, smiling charmingly. "Allow me to escort you, Mademoiselle."

    "Thank you, Monseigneur."

    He led her into an adjoining chamber, where a long dining table was laden with dishes. A large group of nobles milled about the room, their lavish clothing and jewels sparkling in the candlelight. The quiet hum of conversation filled the room, with the occasional loud laugh rising above the muted sounds of speech. At the sight of the Dauphin, however, all sound ceased. Aria's father rose from his seat and bowed. "Welcome, your Royal Highness. It is an honor to have you dine with us."

    The Dauphin nodded, smiling.  Yes, he knew it was a very great honor for the marquis - it was written all over his countenance.  However simple his conduct might be, the significance of his position was not lost on the young man. 

    The marquis nodded to servants that stood by the table, and they escorted everyone to their assigned seats. Once everyone was settled, the marquis closed his eyes and bowed his head. He spoke the blessing reverently, his hands tracing out the sign of the cross over his torso.  After the prayer, he rose and clapped his hands. The servants began to serve the food.

    It was an elaborate meal, but not to the point of opulence.  There were three courses, beginning with soups and various light entrees and ending with delicate ices and magnificent pastries. Wine flowed freely for those who asked, and towards the end of the meal the Dauphin's cheeks were flushed and his voice and gestures animated.

    Unfortunately, Aria had been placed next to him.  She was surprised to find that he attempted to make conversation whilst still chewing the good fare.  She fought to suppress a smile.  It did not seem fitting to be amused by royalty's table manners.  But it was curious.  It was strange, to say the least, that the Dauphin seemed so unperturbed by etiquette.  In a way, she nearly envied his freedom to do so. 

    When she caught sight of his Royal Highness's half-chewed food through an open mouth, however, she was cured of her envy.

    Aria glanced across the table at Marie, who politely took small bites out of everything. Catching Aria's gaze, she smiled encouragingly and mouthed the word 'persevere.' Aria chuckled slightly.

    Her father turned his eyes to her. "Yes, my dear?" he asked, raising an eyebrow slightly. She immediately realized her mistake.

    "It is nothing, Father," she quickly responded.