Chapter One

May 5

   The sun shone down on the forest path, bathing the road in a soft golden light. Tranquil silence reigned in the forest, interrupted only by the soft chirping of birds. The scene spoke of beauty and serenity – surely a God-given taste of Heaven.

    All of a sudden, the peace of the afternoon was shattered by loud hoof beats and snatches of laughter. Two large horses rode up, one a bay mare and the other a night-black stallion. Astride the horses were two young women, long hair streaming out from beneath large hats.

    The two young riders paused. The one riding the mare turned to the other. "Are you sure you wish to go farther, Aria?" She smiled and widened her eyes exaggeratedly. "It is said that the Silent Phantom haunts these forests." 

     The other girl laughed. "Could it be that you are afraid, Marie?"

    Marie smiled again and waved her hand dismissively. "No, only concerned for the welfare of a friend."

    Her expression became serious. "I cannot go farther – my father has forbidden it. Would you wish to continue on alone?"

    Aria considered her statement. "I would certainly enjoy your company, Marie. But if you must go, then I cannot stop you. I myself feel that I cannot yet return." She paused, surveying the serene land around them. "There is yet so much of these forests I have to see."

    Nodding, Marie pulled up beside Aria and briefly patted her hand. "Be careful. Even without myths like the Silent Phantom, bandits are common in such areas."

    Aria let go of the reins and gave Marie a warm hug. "Don't worry, Marie."  

   "Very well."  After a moment, however, Marie spoke up again.  "Still, take caution," she admonished, slipping out of Aria's embrace.

    She turned and began to trot away. Just as Aria picked up the reins, a small satchel flew towards her, catching neatly on the saddle. "One hundred livres and provisions. You left this at the manor," Marie cried.

    Aria draped the satchel over her shoulder, smiling slightly. She would have thanked Marie, but the girl was probably out of earshot by now. For all her outward social grace and courtly elegance, Marie truly loved riding – and riding fast. 

    She turned and spurred her horse on, softly stroking its velvety neck. "Onward, Phillipe," she ordered, grinning.

    As she rode, the sun began to wane. Soon, it dipped down towards the horizon. Aria drew Phillipe to a halt, frowning. Night was fast approaching, and the place she had hoped to stay was at least an hour's ride away.  She would not be able to find it once dark descended.  Shaking her head, she peered into the forest ahead of her. There were lights ahead; most likely a town. Her father had not expected her to return until the next day, so she could rest there, and then ride home in the morning.

     She continued on, confident now that she had a plan. As the light of day finally disappeared, however, she was nowhere near the town. Aria looked around nervously. Wolves were likely to live in the forest, and Philippe would be easy pickings. She ground her teeth and rode faster, gently murmuring words of comfort to the horse.

    All of a sudden, Aria thought she heard the sound of hoof beats from the forest around her. She slowed the stallion to a halt, crouching low in the saddle. The sounds gradually dwindled away and disappeared completely when she came to a stop. Shaking her head and berating herself for her fear, she continued on her way. The hoof beats returned.

    At that moment, a hoarse yell came from behind her, followed by the thundering of many horses. Bandits! Aria cried to herself, urging Phillipe on.

    If she had been going fast before, Aria could not describe the speed at which she now rode. Philippe fairly flew across the uneven path, and Aria's hat was ripped off her head. Yet his speed was for naught. The bandits had her surrounded. Some materialized from the dark shelter of the forest, blocking her escape route.

    A man rode forward and held up a lantern, an arrogant sneer on his face. "What have we here, boys?" he called, narrowing his eyes at Aria. Seeing her fine saddle and high-quality clothing, he chuckled softly. "A lady, it looks like. Are you lost, little Mademoiselle?"

     "Leave me be," she growled. "The king will know of this."

     "His Majesty would hardly be surprised," he purred.  "You ought to have known better." 

    Aria narrowed her eyes and made a quick dash to the side. Someone blocked her escape, however, catching her arm. "Come, come," he leered. "You don't want to do that. We'll have a nice, civilized chat, hmm?"

    "As if you were capable of any such thing," Aria seethed, glaring at him.

    Ignoring her, the man's gaze fell to her side. "What have we here?" he asked, stretching his arm out to grab her satchel. She slapped his hand away. "That is food," she replied, giving him a level gaze.

     "I doubt that's all that there is," he remarked, reaching once again for the satchel. This time, he restrained her hand and was able to roughly tear the satchel off of her.

    The bandit opened the satchel and then, seeing its contents, grinned and released her wrist. He tossed the bag to the other man – obviously their leader – and winked at him. "It is yours, but I expect fair payment."

     Aria glared at him, and then glanced briefly Heavenward. "Please, Father, deliver me," she breathed.

    The leader stalked towards her. "One hundred livres only, Mademoiselle. A worthy prize for some, but my men have been working hard this night. Is there aught else of value on you?"

    Aria hesitated a moment, her eyes flickering between the bandit and the other bag hanging off her saddle. After a moment, however, she shook her head and drew from the bag a small, worn leather book. "The Bible, Monsieur."

    The man struck her hand, making the Bible drop to the ground. "Do you believe I jest? I have your life in my hands, and you are not being compliant."

    Aria raised her head and stared levelly into the man's eyes. "I have naught else of value. Now leave me."

    The man gave his men a brusque nod, and they advanced towards her. One raised a pistol, glaring menacingly at her. Just as she opened her mouth to scream, something struck her on the head, and the world went black.