dix huit

autumn

"so what exactly is happening with you guys?" em interrogates me as we wait for the boys outside a gas station. i shift on my heels, rocking back and forth.

"what happens in cuba stays in cuba" i mumble. she nods, immediately understanding what i'm trying to say. the boys come out of the gas station with two bags full of chips and beer.

"dude we have 20 bags of chips already! we don't need anymore!" i whine, hating how they just wasted money on something we already have an abundance of. hayes shrugs and sets his arm around my shoulder.

we're on our way back to the hotel to get changed and apparently the guys have something special in store, or at least johnson does. when we're back in our room, em and i immediately strip our clothes off.

"woah, woah, woah, wait until the curtains are closed ladies" j smirks at us, both of us rolling our eyes. i look back at hayes and he just seems to be enjoying the show with slightly parted lips and needy eyes. jack removes his shirt from his body while i see hayes just sitting on my chair.

i sit myself on his lap, cupping his, now, red cheeks with my cold hands. "you're not changing?" i ask, furrowing my eyebrows at the boy in front of me.

"no. i don't know why you are either" he laughs. i give him a questioning look, telling him to continue talking. "we're not going anywhere. jack is taking em out to eat"

"oh.. right" i manage a weak smile, getting off of him and sitting on our bed. for a second there, i forgot that we aren't dating and hayes couldn't care less about date nights.

"what's wrong?" he frowns, poking my side. i ignore him for a while until he lays beside me and wraps me up in his arms.

"nothing. everything is fine. i'm fine" i look into his eyes, hopefully selling my lies. although he doesn't look like he's bought them.

"baby.." he pecks my lips. "tell me what's wrong" i stand up, pushing him off of me.

"em, do you want me to curl your hair?" i ignore hayes and instead decide to help this girl who is 20 years old and doesn't know how to do her own hair. she nods as she follows me into the bathroom.

i take the curler from her hand and begin on the right side of her straight hair. we talk about random stuff, until one topic crosses that makes me uncomfortable. "are you gonna tell g about you and hayes?"

".. no. he's already suspicious, i don't need him being all possessive." she sighs at my response and stares at me through the mirror. maybe it is best to just tell gilinsky about hayes and i, but i feel like i would never be forgiven and i wouldn't want to lose the friendship aspect of our relationship because of something like this.

i look back at her into the reflective surface. i can hear hayes laughing, his crazy laugh bringing a small smile to my face. "that's so cute" em grins at me. at this point, i can't tell if she's talking about me smiling or her hair.

she laughs at my red cheeks and picks up her phone. i don't know who she's texting but i don't really care either, it's none of my business. i just focus on her hair as i listen to the typing sound effects. i roll my eyes, hearing footsteps coming to the bathroom.

hayes strolls into the bathroom with no shirt on, attracting my eyes. i try and hide my glimpses but fail as he wraps his arms around my waist and places soft  kisses on the left side of my neck. "i was kidding, we're going somewhere else." his stomach presses into my back, sending shivers down my spine.

my cheeks redden at being so gullible, if you told me you wrote gullible on the ceiling i would believe you and look up. i continue em's hair seeing as i'm almost done. in a matter of minutes, i'm done her hair and she scurries out of the bathroom. i turn around wrap my arms around his neck.