Taehyung (Language barrier)

You were listening to your music as always while walking home that Wednesday afternoon. An old song by Taylor Swift came on and you looked around to see if there's anyone so you could sing. To your advantage, there was no one.

You cranked up the music, adjust your earphones and started off humming until you broke out into a mixture of offbeat quiet singing under your breath.

But she wears short skirts
I wear T-shirts
She's cheer captain
And I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for has been here the whole time.

Out of nowhere, my left earplug was removed and a familiar coconut head poked over your shoulder.

You froze.

Taehyung.

Did he hear you singing? With him being so close you were able to smell the shampoo he used. But with him being that close he would be able to see the imperfections on your skin.

Let's not forget he's your crush.

He joined you in step, with the earbud in his ear, and you both walked in silence for a little bit until he spoke.

"Annyeong Chingu~," he said with his naturally deep voice, which never failed to make your heart skip a beat.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Taehyung."

Taehyung had recently moved to (country you live in) and didn't really speak good English. Being in high school, you needed the volunteer hours and decided to volunteer at the foreign exchange program. The person you were chosen to help was no other than Taehyung. It was a learning experience for both of you because he was learning English and you were learning Korean.

"How schoorl' was?"

You felt a small smile tug at your lips at the sound of Taehyungs Korean accent. You moved to open one of the books that were cradled in your arms (the Korean dictionary) to reply to him in Korean.

"It was okay, you?" You slowly sounded out.

"Good." he smiled giving you a small thumbs up.

Taehyung recently created a challenge for both of you to try and communicate with each other, only using the other's language. He was excelling in English despite the little mix-ups he had here and there. As for you? You still heavily relied on the dictionary.

"What did you..." you flipped through the dictionary as you searched for the words to finish your sentence, "learn today?"

"Ahh...~" he started, it took him a moment to respond. "What song?" He pointed at the earbud in his ear, obviously trying to avoid the question.

"Rather be, by clean bandit."

"Ohh..." he nodded.

Another silence passed over as both of you walked the cold streets.

"Rader be.." Taehyung tried to sing along, " No, no, no...Rader be" he was so off-tune, his Korean accent made it even cuter.

"Taehyung.."

He looked at you with eyebrows up, and his lips formed a line.

"Do you ever feel lonely sometimes?"

Taehyung stared at you, looking at you as if you spoke a whole new different language. His eyes shifted and he was looking past you...Thinking.

A moment of silence went by.

His smile dropped and he nodded slowly, almost carefully.

"Yeah.." You sighed, " So do I.."

Taehyung grabbed your wrist forcing you to stop. And just like that, he pulled you into a hug.

It was slightly uncomfortable since you weren't used to so much contact. Not to mention your face was being forced into his chest with your books digging into your stomach.

But he smelled really good, a smell that you couldn't quite put your finger on. A mix of spices, and cologne. Kimchi maybe?

Being so close to Taehyung.. made you feel relaxed in some sort of way. Yeah, it was a little embarrassing to be hugging in public but, it soothed you. You had been stressed lately and it never occurred to you that a hug would help.

Yes, Yes, I know, really cheesy, but there was really no other way to put it.

The emotions, the security, the warmth...sadly his chin didn't rest on your head but hey, it's okay)

You felt like you could stay like that forever.  He seemed to understand how much you were secretly suffering despite the paint you used for those fake smiles you wore every day. He was able to see that... even though the language barrier.

Taehyug released you and looked you directly in the eyes," I am here for you Y/N" he smiled.

You didn't say anything and refused to look up.

Why'd he had to be that way?

So.. nice, accepting, caring, funny and so damn kind.

You looked up and smiled, not one the smiles you wear regularly, but-

A genuine smile :)

Thank you for reading~ Author