Covert Operations

Start from the beginning

Dolores understood that her chances of spotting Xiùlán from the air were slim, but she held onto the hope that their ingenuity would manifest in some form of signal. With the vast expanse of the ocean ahead, there was still no sign of Xiùlán.

As the time for landing approached, anxiety gripped Dolores. It meant taking manual control again, with even greater care and precision than during takeoff. An overshoot could result in a water landing, but a steep or hasty descent might end in a catastrophic crash. The wheels made contact with the ground, their integrity holding, which was a promising sign. It was still a rough landing, but at least the vehicle didn't explode.

With the jet engines silenced, the vehicle continued its roll along the ground. When it finally came to a stop, Dolores donned her trusty trench coat and exited the vehicle. She approached the edge of a short cliff that led down to the beach, just a few meters below, and not too steep to descend with ease. The expanse of the ocean lay before her, and in the distance, she spotted the imposing forms of aircraft carriers on the horizon. Her gaze lingered there, her thoughts a mixture of curiosity and anticipation. Then, without warning, a mango seed struck the back of her head. In an instant, her pistol was drawn, and she spun around, ready for confrontation.

"Took you long enough," came the playful voice of Xiùlán. They sauntered toward Dolores, their demeanor brimming with mischief. Dressed in a desert camouflage dress and black boots, they sported a whimsical fox-ear headband and an obnoxious grin. "Did you miss me?"

Dolores feigned indifference, her lips curving into a wry smile. "Not at all."

Laughter erupted between the two friends as they embraced, the joy of their reunion overshadowing any words that could have been spoken.

"I'm glad you aren't dead," Dolores admitted with a mix of teasing and sincerity.

Xiùlán chuckled. "I am also delighted that you haven't died yet." They looked up to the vehicle. "Did you really get that thing to fly?"

"The flight of Huītzilōpōchtli was a success," Dolores proudly declared.

Xiùlán's expression shifted into mock indignation. "You already named it?" They pouted. "You said we would name it together!"

Dolores shrugged playfully, a mischievous grin dancing on her lips. "You should have been there when it was finished, then."

"I'm surprised you figured out how to fly it without my help," Xiùlán remarked.

"Don't underestimate my skills," Dolores replied with a sly grin. "That aside, I shouldn't have had to fly it. That was supposed to be your job. Why didn't you return?"

Xiùlán's explanation came with a touch of nonchalance. "We were supposed to set up a base by the ocean. I did my part. It looks like you did yours. So, what's the problem?"

Dolores's expression turned serious. "Do you have a radio signal?"

"Not for over a week. Why?"

"Brazil surrendered," Dolores explained. "I expect a Soviet invasion of Mexico any day now."

Xiùlán's curiosity was piqued. "Very interesting. What do you suppose they're waiting for?"

"Unclear. But they should help to keep the Army busy. Did you set up the surveillance equipment?"

Xiùlán pointed to a radio dish and camera setup. "What do you think?"

"Excellent. I assume they just need a power supply?"

"As far as I know."

"Good," said Dolores. "That shouldn't be a problem."

Dolores swiftly set up solar panels and connected them to a battery, ensuring the surveillance equipment would have a steady power source. She then conducted a thorough functionality test.