The Regular

„Christie, I'm taking my break!" I announce to my co-worker and start taking of my working apron.

"Alright, see you in a bit!" She replies while fixing another customer their coffee.

Almost naturally my gaze drifts over to a particular corner in our little shop. As usual one of our regulars is sitting over there reading hi....wait a minute! Was he just looking at me?

I stop and continue to fold my apron.

No that can't be. I must be seeing things.

I make my way over to the staff room, but I my gaze still lingers on him. Now he's reading one of his books his again and I can't help but notice that he looks exhausted. Mostly he's wearing casual, but still sort of trendy clothes.
Today, he's wearing a simple gray hoodie with unruly hair and jogging pants. It still looks hot though, maybe even more than usual. And no that didn't mean I tend to look at him more than I should.

I sigh and finally manage to look where I'm actually going.

Whenever he is here, he's reading, writing or doing something on his laptop. Ever since I noticed him (which had basically been the day I started working here), I told myself I would chat him up someday.

Well, guess who still didn't gather the courage to do it.

The staff room door falls shut behind me and I lean against it, sighing. I've been working here for half a year, what was so hard to start a conversation with someone? Especially someone who is always reading a book you could start a conversation about? Right, being afraid of getting rejected.

He probably wouldn't want to talk to me anyway. I mean he's the most charming person ever when he orders his Iced Americano, but he obviously got stuff to do, so I would only bother him.

Having these thoughts, I spent my break eating lunch and checking my social media. When I come back to the counter, I glance at the corner again, but he is gone.

The next few weeks continue as usual, although I notice that our regular is not visiting as often as he used to. And every time he actually shows up, his orders of coffee and the dark circles under his eyes increase.

Today is one of these days and although he is a stranger, I can't help but feel worried. Just a minute ago he ordered his third coffee, extra strong.

I chew on my lip as I prepare his order. Maybe I should ask him if he's alright? After I finish his coffee I take a look at the clock and walk over to Christie who is working with me again today. The shop is rather empty now, so I lean closer to her.

"Hey do you mind if I take my break right now?" I ask her in a muted voice.

She instantly turns and looks at me with huge, twinkling eyes.

"Are you going to talk to him?!" She exclaims a little too loud for my taste.

"Shhhh!!" I put my hand over her mouth hastily and look around the shop. Phew, it seems like he didn't hear it.

"I guess?" I shrug as I take my hand from her mouth, while giving her a warning look. "I mean he doesn't look like he is doing very well, so I thought I'd at least ask him how he's doing..."

"And you think he'd tell you?" She retorted and I rolled my eyes at her.

"No. But it's the intention that counts!"

"Not when you want to get into his pants." She smirked and I swatted at her arm.

"I don't want to get into his pants!" I denied maybe a little too quickly. I felt heat rising to my cheeks and turned around, heading his way.