Chapter 14

XIV

The Carol-Anne landed in Heron after nearly three days and nights at sea, and despite Jon’s misgivings and the healthy presence of Deutzani soldiers, no one paid Gwaynn or Krys any special attention. The ship was unloaded quickly with the help of the Massi Prince and his new Weapons Master. Gwaynn thought it prudent to stay with the ship and its crew as they got a feel for the area around the dock, plus it might look odd if two crewmen disembarked just as the heavy work was about to begin. Once the unloading was finished, however, Jon released nearly all of his men for a few days of land living. He kept a skeleton crew to watch over the ship, himself included, though he insisted on coming with the two young men as they traveled to meet up with Paulo and Karla.

It felt strange to Gwaynn, walking the very streets he fled from over a year ago. In some ways it felt like a lifetime, but when they finally came across the house of Paulo, it seemed as if he had hardly been away.

“Yes,” Karla said as she answered the door, at first not recognizing the young man who filled the frame, but then she looked past him, and saw Krys who had visited only a few weeks prior. Her eyes flew back to Gwaynn and darted about his face like bee looking for nectar.

“Gwaynn?” She asked hesitantly, hardly believing that this was the same boy who had cried in her arms that awful night after Solarii’s fall. She started forward to take him into her arms once more but then hesitated. Gwaynn, reading her thoughts, stepped up and hugged her.

“I’m sorry about Karl,” he said softly in her ear. “I know what it is like to loose family.”

Karla hugged tighter as tears welled in her eyes. “Come in, come in,” she said breaking the embrace and discreetly wiping away the tears. “Paulo will be so happy to see how tall you’ve gotten…just like your father.” She led the way in and they all followed, but it was nearly an hour before Paulo got word and joined them. He arrived just as Jon was taking his leave to return to the Carol-Anne.

“Watch yourself. I land at Heron, normally twice a year,” Jon said gripping Gwaynn’s hand firmly. “If you need me, leave word with Paulo, and I’ll get it.”

Gwaynn returned the grip. “Thanks for everything.”

As soon as the door shut Gwaynn immediately turned to Paulo. “Anything from Afton Sath?”

Paulo shook his head. He was having a hard time with the fact that now he had to look up at Gwaynn. Paulo studied the young man for a time. Gwaynn was tall, but he was not just a skinny lad; his shoulders and arms had filled out during his time away. Except for the scruff of beard on his chin, he looked the part of a man, and a King. However, it was not the change of body that struck Paulo so acutely. When the boy had left his entire demeanor had been…soft, but now there was something hard in his eyes. There was also the way he carried himself, there was now an air of confidence about him that was lacking before. The boy had changed, of that there was little doubt.

Paulo sat down and took a cup of tea from his wife. “We sent word nearly three weeks ago, but haven’t heard anything.”

Gwaynn sipped his tea and frowned. “He’s at Koshka?”

Paulo nodded. “In the mountains thereabouts. It does take time to move across the country these days…you can’t be too careful.”

“What is the Deutzani presence like in the west?” Gwaynn asked, his tone no longer a boy’s.

Paulo stared into his Prince’s eyes. “Not strong, but growing. They have an army at Cape, but it hasn’t moved much in nearly six months. They supply it by sea, and every now and then the commander will send out raiding parties inland. They seem to be more worried about the Toranado than the Massi.”