Chapter 5

V

“It’s your quarter, so the final decision belongs to you,” Tar Amon told Kostek early the next morning. The day was starting off near perfect, not a cloud in the sky, warm but with a nice westerly breeze blowing in from the sea. Mornings were by far the best time of the day, Amon thought to himself as his colleague wrestled with the problem before them.

“But you agree that it is a good idea?” Kostek asked looking for help.

Amon shrugged. “Good for the boy, certainly. He will need all the help he can get if he is to survive. Good for your students may be another matter.”

“How so?”

“Gwaynn is at least fifteen, and while he’s sure to have had some training he will be no better than another first year, probably worse. Tam has only been here three months and she may have already surpassed him in skill,” Amon asserted. “Will practicing with someone so beneath their skill level truly improve your other students, or will it just distract them?”

“Yes, but remember he has been trained by Afton Sath,” Kostek argued, knowing that the old Massi Weapons Master was seriously considered for Tar rank upon his graduation.

“Hmm, yes. In his time, Master Sath was certainly the best of the families Weapons Masters,” Amon answered. “But remember he is now well past his prime.”

 “I see your point,” Kostek commented. “I would like to work with Gwaynn, late in the evenings after the day is over, just to see his skill level and then decide.”

Amon smiled. “That’s cutting a fine line. We are only supposed to train students sanctioned by the High King.”

Now it was Kostek’s turn to smile. “Well, in a way it was the High King who put Gwaynn here. Without his involvement with the Deutzani the boy would undoubtedly still be home in Solarii in his bed.”

Amon laughed. “Yes, that is most definitely true. All right, work with the boy. Test the level of his skill. I am sure he will be determined, but whether he has talent or not, we shall have to see.”

Tar Kostek bowed and as he left he couldn’t help wondering just what he had gotten himself into.

Two days went by before Kostek was able to pull the boy aside, but he caught up with Gwaynn one evening while he was finishing his dinner with Lane, Shari, and their four daughters. Kostek knocked and waited but when no one came to the door he let himself in; the entire family was talking and laughing loudly and they were unaware of his presence in the far room. The family chatter was animated and cheerful though Gwaynn, as always, was reserved. It was obvious to the Tar though, that the boy was enjoying the banter of his foster family and they seemed to be at ease with his presence. Kostek was gratified that Gwaynn appeared to be fitting in so well.

“I do not,” Mille protested loudly, turning red as she did so. She was the third daughter. She sported long blonde hair and deep indigo eyes, eyes which she kept riveted on Gwaynn as much as possible. A habit two of her sisters noticed. At the moment they were giving Mille grief for it, much to her and Gwaynn’s discomfort. The entire family fell silent the moment Tar Kostek entered the kitchen.

“I beg your pardon for the interruption,” Kostek said, aware of the anxiety he was causing. He was the master of the quarter, and this family served him and his students. Natural lines were drawn. It was as rare for him to visit as it was for anyone of the Leek family to present themselves in his drawing room in the evening. They were at different social levels and each in their own way respected the other’s privacy.