Chapter 7

VII

The next evening Gwaynn waited on the extreme western side of the island. He sat on the very edge of a high, rocky bluff, listening to the waves crash onto the shore below. He was gazing out at the horizon, in the direction of the King’s Island. In fact, on extremely clear days, the Island of the High King could be glimpsed in the far distance; at least for those with very sharp eyes. Gwaynn sat quietly, enjoying the breeze coming off of the sea, and watching the stark, white birds drift overhead as they rode the winds.

He waited for nearly an hour before he finally heard footsteps very close behind. He spun around, startled even though he was expecting a companion. He stood up and nodded to the newcomer, who bowed low.

“I have come as you requested, my King.”

“Am I?” Gwaynn asked standing and looking down at the prone young man before him.

Krys took the opportunity to look up at his new liege. “Yes,” he answered, “now and unto death.”

Gwaynn stood in silence for a long moment and then signaled for Krys to rise. “Very well; if you mean what you say I have a request of you.”

“Anything, my King.”

“After the year end Competition, during your leave, I wish you to go and visit the seaport of Heron. There you are to look up a man named Paulo and his wife Karla. You may tell them, and only them, that I am alive and with their help I would like you to start a search.”

“A search for what?”

“Not what, but who,” Gwaynn went on. “I would like you to search for Afton Sath.”

Krys gasped. “The Massi Weapons Master! You believe he lives?”

“My father’s Weapons Master,” Gwaynn corrected, holding up a hand. “You will be my Weapons Master, and yes I believe that Afton Sath may be alive. If anyone could have escaped the castle at Solarii it would be Master Sath.”

Krys stood still, shocked at the idea of being the King’s Weapons Master, even if the Kingdom of the Massi was no more. It was a great honor, one that he would not take lightly.

“Is there anything I should tell him if I find him?” Krys asked.

Gwaynn shook his head. “You need not tell him anything, just inform him that I live and will be returning home in time.”

“Do you wish me to stay on Massi?” Krys asked, dreading the answer.

Gwaynn shook his head. “Not unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I would have you finish your training if at all possible.”

Krys could not help but smile and Gwaynn smiled back, feeling much older than his new Weapons Master, though Krys was his senior by several years.

“Speaking of training…” Gwaynn said and removed two sets of katas from the satchel at his feet. “I promised Master Kostek that I would not train with Vio while he was gone, but I made no promises about sparring with you.”

Krys frowned. “You have been training with Vio?”

Gwaynn nodded. “Yes and Master Kostek. Beware, I have learned much,” he added with a bow.

Krys caught the katas thrown to him and returned the bow, moments later he was on his back, completely shocked by his new lord’s skill. Gwaynn held out a hand, face passive.

“Please use all your skill,” he said with a nod of his head and they continued.

ǂ